PDA

View Full Version : I got an invite to the Ref party.... yay!!!

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
So i was just driving my ass over to Sonic today for a fuckin #3(coney dog for those poor souls who dont experience sonic often) with tots and a lemon-berry slush, when off the highway comes a sherriff. I think nothing of it cuz im cruising below speed limit, melow as can be(having just takin a couple rips minutes before hand), its been over three years owning the car and ive never had an issue, and hes a sherriff for cryin out loud, so i just didnt care about him. he makes an obvious effort to merge onto the street so he can get behind me, gives me about 30 seconds, then flips his lights. "skank!" so i cruise another mile until i get to the sonic parking lot before stopping for him. he tells me to get out, checks around the car, and says hes sending me to ref for my modified exhaust and gives me a fix-it for my tint(35% all around). i laughed at him and told him ill get it reffed, and then ill be right back on the road how it sits today real soon. guy then tells me he "i will get you again", and so i followed with a "it sounds liek you want to be more than friends. and im not really looking for a relationship right now". he gives me a dumbfound look and tells me to have a nice day. i said "you too jack ass" and went back to my car. i always try to have fun with em, i mean if im getting a ticket im getting my moneys worth of entertainment out of it right???

so theres my first "sent to ref" experience, anyone care to fill me in on what ill need to do in the near future to clear this out? ive got all my stock piping, and my intake is C.A.R.B. legal, so its quite simple on the parts exchange side of things.... how much will all the cost me in the long run???

:stoned:

wilson1
12-20-2008, 10:33 AM
dang, they have nothing better to do

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 10:36 AM
i know right?? im a little annoyed, but im glad ive gone as long as i have without being fucked with..... i was just more shocked than anything that it was a sherriff and not a city or chp that gave me my first ref-pass

steevo8
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Dude kiss ass and you wont get a ticket.... Shoot my evo isnt registered right now and I have been pulled over 4 times in the last two weeks. You have seen my evo, straight pipe and loud as hell and no ref ticket. Even by the CHP. People with authority just want to hear you say your wrong and you fucked up. Sure youll still get tickets from time to time but when your a dick youll get one everytime.

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 11:25 AM
i started off cool, but he went straight into cock mode, ive talked my way thru many incidents, and played cool many times, but ive also chosen the other route many times :) you win some, and some you dont.... :P

wilson1
12-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Dude kiss ass and you wont get a ticket.... Shoot my evo isnt registered right now and I have been pulled over 4 times in the last two weeks. You have seen my evo, straight pipe and loud as hell and no ref ticket. Even by the CHP. People with authority just want to hear you say your wrong and you fucked up. Sure youll still get tickets from time to time but when your a dick youll get one everytime.

Wow, 4X?
Want to share, steve?

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
no kidding... thats gotta get old man.... :)

mtsevovii
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
:ugh:

steevo8
12-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Wow, 4X?
Want to share, steve?

The car isnt registered and its got a rollbar, numbers, stickers, straight exhaust, etc. Tends to grab attention a bit and they use the registration to pull me over. I have put 60miles on it since the new motor went in and everytime it leaves my house I get popped. Its no big deal really though, Im just nice and explain to them that I dont drive the car often and was forced to drive it cause my other car is in the shop :shiftdevil:

module unknown
12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I've been pulled over 4 times since owning my car (hasn't even been a year). It's never for a moving violation either, always some chicken shit no front plate, tint, exhaust BS. I'm always cool with them and three out of the four times I've been let off with warnings or just simple fix-it tickets. This last time though I got some rookie cop that thought she caught a "race car" (her words), called in two cars worth of backup and I sat ont he curb while 4 cops searched my car inside and out. In the end I got sent to the ref for my air filter, the GST budget cone filter. I was being cool that time too, so it doesn't always work... it usually helps though. Anyway...

As for the ref, it was pretty simple. I called the number on the sticker and set up my appointment. The smog/ref test cost me a whopping $8.25. Once you pass, your citation can be paid off for $10 since you've "corrected" the problem(s).

The best advice I can give is to put your car back to stock if possible. It's only going to make the whole experience less of a hassle. If you roll in with a "modified" exhaust, they may or may not flag you for that. If they decide they want to test it before they'll let you proceed you'll need to schedule another test and come back another day. From what I gathered talking to the techs at the ref, you're also not allowed to changed anything with your exhaust pre-cat. So if you have an aftermarket downpipe, you should swap it out.

If it were me, i'd even put the stock airbox back in. It only takes a few minutes, and yes I'm aware your intake is CARB legal. It's just one less potential hassle if you get an idiot/asshole tech.

Guages - yes it sounds silly, but you might want to hide them. Charles was failed for his boost guage and turbo timer. No joke.

When I went in, all I left on the car were my injectors (stickers removed), GM boost solenoid (tucked under airbox, spliced wires hidden), sending unit for my greddy boost gauge. Sure injectors were potentially risky, but honestly, how are they going to call you out on that? They would need pictures and/or part numbers for the stock injectors to compare. Anyway, I had three techs going over my car for over an hour. Unde rthe hood, under the car, sticking their little mirrors in every crevice trying to confirm that all sensors were in place and all vac lines and emissions systems were hooked up and in order. Some things were double, and even triple checked. The three of them huddled up for a couple minutes to discuss the sending unit for my greddy boost gauge that was nowhere to be found inside the car. I believe they let it go because it was an electronic, not mechanical gauge with a line run into the cockpit. I even heard them point out zip ties to a student tech as a flag that something might have been messed with in that area. Just silly... I went to the station at Evergreen community college in San Jose.

Good luck with the ref. It's no fun. Even if you don't have anything to worry about, it's still a pain in the ass to have to take time and deal with that BS.

08lancer_gts
12-20-2008, 12:51 PM
theyre just trying to get a promotion or some monthly bonus you know those cops...
and i thought 35% tint is LEGAL...5% is where they can pull you off...

mtsevovii
12-20-2008, 12:57 PM
theyre just trying to get a promotion or some monthly bonus you know those cops...

no tint is legal up front.

module unknown
12-20-2008, 01:02 PM
^ and that's why I'm driving around with glue on my front passenger window still. Too damn cold to go out and finish scraping that shit off. Hmm, maybe I'll go finish that right now... :( Stupid ticket BS has my car running and looking like shit.

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
ya, no tint is legal, but with 35 all around, its transparent... he just wanted something else to write up on.

as far as the intake and shit, ive got all stock stuff there as well, even my full TBE so itll all go back on. ill also tuck the timer up under the dash and power it down prior to rolling in. wit hjust those basic bolt ons, and a custom tune, do you think ill have any running/passing problems or issues for the time being, or will it still be cool you think?

ChuckP
12-20-2008, 01:05 PM
That sucks Savage. Can't believe it was a sheriff? WTF. Looks like its just gonna cost you some time swapping parts. I'd keep the ref paperwork in the car when everything is all said and done. Who knows, next time you get pulled over, i'd flash the paperwork and tell the cops your shit passed inspection as is.

Goodluck with everything.

No amount of tint on the front windows is legal in CA.

ChuckP
12-20-2008, 01:09 PM
^ and that's why I'm driving around with glue on my front passenger window still. Too damn cold to go out and finish scraping that shit off. Hmm, maybe I'll go finish that right now... :( Stupid ticket BS has my car running and looking like shit.

Been there, a lil advice. On a sunny day. Spray the inside of the window down with ammonia. Cut up a black plastic trash bag and place it over the ammonia soaked window. Let it sit in the sun for 15minutes, or you can hit it with a heat gun from the outside. Take the bag off and that glue should wipe right off.
Or you can take it to a tint shop with a steamer.

SavageEvo8
12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Been there, a lil advice. On a sunny day. Spray the inside of the window down with ammonia. Cut up a black plastic trash bag and place it over the ammonia soaked window. Let it sit in the sun for 15minutes, or you can hit it with a heat gun from the outside. Take the bag off and that glue should wipe right off.
Or you can take it to a tint shop with a steamer.

tricky tricky... sucks i gotta retint my glass. its such a bitch. luckily i know how to do it so it wont cost me dick really

island_671
12-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Simple Green and Steel wool pad (0000) works wonders to take the glue off!!....

TcJayLee
12-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Funny story. Have fun at the party! Hopefully theres an open bar. :buds:

module unknown
12-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Simple Green and Steel wool pad (0000) works wonders to take the glue off!!....

Orange clean and a razor blade worked pretty well for me. The orange clean breaks down the glue almost immediately after contact. Then I just had to run a razor across the glass, glue just came right off - almost like shaving my window. :p Then hit it with some windex a couple times and my windows are super clean!

Thanks everyone for the tips though.

ithinkyou
12-24-2008, 12:19 AM
That sheriff mustof been desparate, just call the cali ref program number and itll prolly be at a local college's auto shop class. But once you can pass you can make em look really stupid when you show em the BAR cert. They always have nothin better than a lame comeback when they try an use the exhaust as an excuse to pull over. Especially when theyre supposed to by law be certified to calibrate an use a decibal meter. Saw that on evoM or here somewhere.

i wish i had the balls for that much attitude. lol

ChuckP
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
God i hope the ref makes your life miserable...Merry Christmas bich!

SavageEvo8
12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
hahaha. thanks fuck face. merry x-mas to your k-y soiled ass as well :)

ChuckP
12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Listen here slut. Before i go to bed tonight, ima say a prayer. Ima pray that your state ref is a coors beer loving, mullut wearing white trasher. Who not only owns a lifted silverado and a POS '92 camero, but also 2 harleys and some rusted POS domestic on his front lawn.
Im also going to pray that despite you attempt to revert you evo back to stock, this ref fails you for 3 reasons...owning an import, homosexuality, and some fruity colored upper radiator hose.
Sleep tight beotch! :wink:

SavageEvo8
12-24-2008, 11:19 AM
hahahaha.... speachless, thats how youve left me

mhezz13
12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Wut I did was I put back my stock intake and exhaust hide the mbc and my car passed. :)

xevox
12-25-2008, 12:11 AM
That sucks, good luck.