PDA

View Full Version : Just got hit with speeding...

rKamfar
12-25-2008, 01:01 PM
But that's not the point of this thread. I am looking up regulations and speed zone surveys of the area where I got my ticket, and am trying to find a "Speed Zone Survey Database" of CA, if one exists. If anyone knows where to find these, please help!

Thanks

a_decoy
12-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Where did you get your ticket at?

rKamfar
12-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Lake County. Is it possible to request a court relocation through mail?

a_decoy
12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
it is possible if you explain the reasons very carefully. But, it's a shot in the dark that they would relocate.

Sfkn2
12-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't know if you can request a court relocation, but you can fight the ticket through mail.

Take a look at ticketassassin.com

rKamfar
12-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Good idea for ticketassassin.com, I didn't think of checking there. Another point to bring up- if I request my Trial by Declaration 2 weeks before my court date, I am given 4 weeks to respond with the trial, which would drag it out- correct?

Sfkn2
12-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, it does get extended after you submit your request.

rKamfar
12-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Great, I'll do this in the last 2 weeks or so. Trying to drag this out as long as possible.

Sfkn2
12-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Great, I'll do this in the last 2 weeks or so. Trying to drag this out as long as possible.

Why is that?

ZK
12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Where did you get your ticket .. on the highway? local road? Speed surveys are not done for highways. You can request a speed survey of the road from the city you were in.

steevo8
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
On freaking xmas? Damn thats crap. Lake county ftmfl

sprytsi
12-26-2008, 10:31 AM

I still haven't even pleaded in my speeding ticket, got an extension to Feb 3rd to plead :D

You can not request a relocation but when you are pulled over you can request to be heard at the county seat. Sometimes it is closer to you, but usually not.

Trial by written declaration works well but you have to pay the bail when you plead. You can do it all by mail and the court will refund bail if you are found not guilty, 6-8 weeks after though :(

They don't do speed surveys on freeways, but on city streets they do. Ticketassasin has some good info.

rKamfar
12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Why is that?
I figure the longer I can drag this out, the less likely the Cop will remember exactly what happened. Then again this is actually my first speeding ticket ever, so it may not matter after all, I'm just getting in over my head. What would you do?

Where did you get your ticket .. on the highway? local road? Speed surveys are not done for highways. You can request a speed survey of the road from the city you were in.
This was on Highway 29, about 5 miles from where my parents live. However the road is a 2 lane (single lane both ways), and the CVC 22349 says:

"(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may
drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater
than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has
been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or
appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and
traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following
apply:
(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than
one through lane of travel in each direction.
(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the
number of through lanes.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable
signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in
subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit,
including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible,
and at other appropriate locations."

Pretty much it looks like I'll be unable to fight that portion of the ticket (I was clocked doing 74 in a 55), but there's a possible loophole- when I asked the Officer for calibration records, he showed me August 2006. Aren't they required to have up to date calibration records on them at all time, or can they keep them at the CHP station?

On freaking xmas? Damn thats crap. Lake county ftmfl
Best part, too: after he gave me the ticket, he said "All I wanted was for you to slow down, too!"

sprytsi
12-26-2008, 04:00 PM
If the cert was out of date for the radar gun then it is inaccurate and can not be trusted.

If you can find more proof (request it from the PD) then the judge 'should' throw it out.

rKamfar
12-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Shouldn't the cert be with the car though?

sprytsi
12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I dunno

I've always heard you can request it from the PD for proof at your trial. I'm not sure if they are required to carry it in the car.