PDA

View Full Version : wednesday nite drags in SAC...

thomas
02-11-2004, 11:11 PM
sup fellas, juss got back from sac raceway. very chilly nite, of course that means turbo weather :wink:

so yea, pretty impressed. couple of sti's, 1 red evo and a whole bunch of fast cars. i think the fastest sti ran a 12.9xx, it was blue. when i walked past it, he had his hood popped up so i took a peak. looks like he did a number on the hoses and piping. not too sure, kinda dark. not sure who the red evo driver was. he posted a 14.2xx, that was the first and last run i saw him do. :? cant say that im impressed. but then again, who am i to talk...

on the way home, i set a goal for myself...i think if i hit 13.5xx, ill be happy. thats not too impressive, but i think with my (minimal) driving skills, thats not too bad to shoot for. besides, this will give me plenty of room for improvement. FYI, ive been to sac raceway several times, but never on the track. juss kinda sat at the tree trying to get the timing rite with my feet. well, i got the entire season to practice...anybody with me?

ps: $15 to race, $6 for admission...starts 5pm-10pm

*yea yea yea, i kno evos were made to turn, but you gotta start some where...

vtluu
02-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Admission to the Wednesday night drags: $6
Launching your Evo off the starting pad: $15
Changing the clutch the next day: $1000
1/4 mile in 13 seconds: PRICELESS
:lol:

BluEvo
02-12-2004, 12:38 AM
when i was living in Stockton, i used to hit up Sac Raceway all the time with my racing team. those days were hella fun! we used to hit up the CMI's, North vs South comps. Good luck with ur goal. i'm pretty sure u can drop low 13's with that P2 flash. practice a good a$$ launch and u should be good to go. since we're all wheel drive, you'll need to launch a little high. i say around 3000-3500rpm. seems high, but if you launch lower, u could bod down. i think i launched closed to about 3800 one time on a dead street and whoohoo, i heard all 4 tires give a little scurt as i shot out. it was sweet!!!

"disclaimer - i am not a professional drag racer. i have experienced the fun of drag racing in the past with different cars. what i say only pertains to my personal experience in drag racing. so just have fun with it." :D

usdmct9a
02-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Anybody know when Sac Raceway opens up again?

BluEvo
02-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Anybody know when Sac Raceway opens up again?

it's already open. they run wednesday night drags weekly and sometimes test and tunes on saturday...here's the link to their site>
http://www.sacramentoraceway.com/
check it out.

usdmct9a
02-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks.

GReddy_917
02-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Actually if you are launching at 3000-3500 it is considered a "soft launch" for AWD DSM's...your times will be slow.

If you want to make better times and dont care about your clutch wearing, launch anywhere from 4500-5500...this is considered a "moderate launch".

If you are an ex-GVR4 owner then launch at 6000+....the hell with it..lol

If I remember correctly, the stock Mitsubishsi clutch has about 10-14 hard launches in it before it dies a horrible death.

On a side note, 14.2 in an Evo on a cold night is pitiful.

EvolvedDSM
02-12-2004, 10:10 AM
4500-5500 is a moderate launch. It's the 6K+ ones that start to take it's toll on the stock clutch and other components. I've easily got 50 launches from around 5K with the OEM stuff and have managed to run 13.4 @ 102 with zero mods. Whoever says the EVO isn't a dragracer needs to hang out with some DSMers... especially the ones driving Galant VR4s ;) The EVO weighs almost exactly the same as a DSM, uses the "same" technology, yet it's OK to drag a DSM--I don't buy it. Granted, turning is much more fun in an EVO and you'll find me autocrossing now much more than you'll see me on a drag strip. However, I still can't get away from it and would like to check things out in Sac sometime.

BluEvo
02-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Actually if you are launching at 3000-3500 it is considered a "soft launch" for AWD DSM's...your times will be slow.

If you want to make good times and dont care about your clutch wearing, launch anywhere from 4500-5500...this is considered a "hard launch".

If I remember correctly, the stock Mitsubishsi clutch has about 10-14 hard launches in it before it dies a horrible death.

On a side note, 14.2 in an Evo on a cold night is pitiful.

well put. as for that 14.2, that is sad. i was pullin a 14.9 as the worst time i ever had when i was draggin my Eclipse GS-T (stock). down the line i blew the tranny using nitto street/drag slicks :? that was not a fun experience....

GReddy_917
02-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Well said EvolvedDSM.

That being said, I used to launch my GVR4 @ 6K when dragging...but I wouldnt reccommend it to anyone, save another GVR4 owner ;)

JanSolo
02-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Actually, Thomas.. if you can get a 13.5 (or below because we know it can happen), that would be SWEEET. Make sure if you do it, to get the time slip and post it up here.

Tam has a point on the clutch, so you might to consider looking into a new clutch in the future if you want to keep up the drag racing. I know the clutch that Lord Stockdale has on his Evo (I believe it is the Works clutch) was pretty solid. He did a nice clutch drop on his car from a fairly high RPM and it was solid.

Just something to think about.

thomas
02-13-2004, 12:21 AM
yea 13.5xx sounds good. not sure how long or how much practice ima need to achieve that. i guess well see.

i really hope my stocker clutch holds on a lil' longer. not really planning on buying a new one anytime soon. but yea, id go with WORKS anyday.

soooooo, anybody down for a wed. nite sac raceway meet in the future? i work next wed. but maybe sometime in late feb/early march? aiight.

BluEvo
02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
yea 13.5xx sounds good. not sure how long or how much practice ima need to achieve that. i guess well see.
"you can do it!" with that P2 reflash, i don't think you'll have a problem.
a good launch will get you there... :wink:

soooooo, anybody down for a wed. nite sac raceway meet in the future? i work next wed. but maybe sometime in late feb/early march? aiight.
that sounds like fun, but wouldn't a test and tune on a saturday be a better day. most of us work on weekdays (well at least i do). i know a few ppl on here work weekends too. we could all be there cheer u on mann! or maybe a few of us will join ya on the track to put it down for the evos. :lol:

thomas
02-13-2004, 03:04 PM
aaaahhhhh, the pressure! haha...

thx for the support, mang. doesnt really matter to me, either wed or sat works for me. juss something informal, nothing big really planned, juss kinda meet up and chill.

ima go practice my launces now. :wink: