PDA

View Full Version : Will my motor blow?...

heatsoaked
02-12-2009, 05:24 PM
So I've owned my EVO X for about a month now (my first EVO) and I'm slowly building her up to be track ready (brakes, suspension, etc). I'm not even through the break in period but plan for her to ready in a month.

My first track event will be with NCRC late March and I'm planning on tracking her once a month. I'll be having Brian at GST do his magic with just a pill/drop-in/and tune but having had experience blowing turbos in the past, I'm a little worried about whether the new aluminum engine can handle a 14 session weekend of constant revving let alone a monthly tracking schedule.

Does anyone else track their X's and have you heard any horror stories of blown motors, blown turbo's, dead 3rd gears, and fried clutches? I need to know if I should worry and if a tuned motor is safe for regular track use? Are there any precautions I can take? Baffled pan, oil cooler? Who even makes these product?

Thanks in advance.

whtrice
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Bryan@GST has plenty of experience with track tunes as he has allot of track time himself. You may want to address all your questions with him at the time of the tune. He can provide you with the answers you need on how to prep your car for the track and the things you should be concerned with. How aggressively you plan on tracking your car will determine what will need to be done.

uhoh_evo
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't have any answers to those questions, but you can always get a "track" tune. It's a more conservative tune particularly for that reason of strain.

I don't plan on tracking my car nearly as much as you but I still like the sound of a "track" tune and it being the safest, most reliable tune.

DoctorEvo
02-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Why dont you track your car as is before you start modding it, that may give you a better idea of your vehicle. Unless you own other X's and have experience with them prior to.

heatsoaked
02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
"...before you start modding the car...", I'm sorry Doc., but I can't help myself in that department! I've been modding my cars for 20 years now and the prognosis for a cure to mod-addiction is poor. Re. the tune, thanks for the recommendation. I like the idea of a track tune. I'd like more power (I mean who doesn't!!) but I'm way more interested in reliability so I'm willing to sacrifice a few HP...but not too much...hehehe.

DetailAddict
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
i think Jeff (Stormtropper) has already taken his X to track couple of times with the tune from GST.

chefnevo
02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
As whtrice said before address all those questions with Bryan. He can do a conservative race tune for if you are worried about the motor.

1SloEvo
02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
One thing that you shouldn't worry about is an oil cooler...I'm pretty sure the X is equipped with one from the factory...as are the Evo 8s and 9s.

EM@Works
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Just cover the basics and you should be fine. We track our X all the time and we haven't had any problems.

EM@Works
05-22-2009, 08:42 PM
We never had any issues with all the EVO Xs that go to the track, but when you go you might want to put in some higher octane fuel.