PDA

View Full Version : Boost controll opnions with SAFC II

bdking57
04-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Im thinking about ditching my hallman in cockpit MBC and boost gauge in favor of the Apexi AVC-R to complement the SAFC II i just picked up. The simple hallman setup is great (cheap affordable and effective), but im worried about pushing the car over some of the mountain roads in the carmel valley with this setup.. the elevation changes are pretty drastic and we have pretty severe temp changes in salinas. While im rarely overboosting, im still worried about overboosting when downshifting.

Does anyone have experience with the AVC-R? from what i understand it has gear learning so you can reduce boost in 5th for highway cruising... plus it has set boost levels at rpm levels, so boost taper can be electronically dialed in. Its a very nice but complicated unit. Im open for some opinions if anyone has them...

evo_dadi
04-29-2005, 03:24 PM
lol our elevation change is not that dramatic :wink: it should be fine with the s-afc.one of my buddy has it also like what youre planning to do and his is working fine :twisted:

bdking57
04-29-2005, 04:01 PM
i was talking about the hallman not being as safe around here.. im up before sunrise and its freezing, then it gets warm as hell.

Im thinking EBC would be good because i can boost to 20psi and then taper down to 18psi

methods4
04-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Im thinking about ditching my hallman in cockpit MBC and boost gauge in favor of the Apexi AVC-R to complement the SAFC II i just picked up. The simple hallman setup is great (cheap affordable and effective), but im worried about pushing the car over some of the mountain roads in the carmel valley with this setup.. the elevation changes are pretty drastic and we have pretty severe temp changes in salinas. While im rarely overboosting, im still worried about overboosting when downshifting.

Does anyone have experience with the AVC-R? from what i understand it has gear learning so you can reduce boost in 5th for highway cruising... plus it has set boost levels at rpm levels, so boost taper can be electronically dialed in. Its a very nice but complicated unit. Im open for some opinions if anyone has them...

Gear based boost does not work on the Evos.

From a DSM standpoint, they never worked worth a shit. MBC or old school Greddy ProfecB is the way to go.

evoboy
05-17-2005, 12:54 AM
um...thats funny cause my AVCR works great and I don't overboost after I adjusted the psi on learn by gear. Are you speaking with first hand experience?

methods4
05-17-2005, 08:49 AM
um...thats funny cause my AVCR works great and I don't overboost after I adjusted the psi on learn by gear. Are you speaking with first hand experience?

No, unfortunately I am not speaking from firsthand experience. I am speaking from RRE's experience. They couldn't get it to work very well with DSMs back in the day. Why spend $450 on an unecessarily overly complicated boost controller that you have to:

1. Spend hours and hours to install
2. Tune it.
3. Find a spot to mount the bitch. If you're already running an AFC, gauges and other electronics, you would know space is a premium.

But I guess if you like the hassle, like to spend extra money and want something that matches the AFC (which may be #1 priority for some), then the AVC-R is for you. :bigglasses: