PDA

View Full Version : I must be automotively inept...

vtluu
02-15-2004, 03:37 AM
... cuz I just spent the last 6 hours installing my oil temp and boost gauges. I think I could've done it in half the time if I'd really known what I was doing and been a bit more organized--not having to run in and out for tools and so forth. Probably would have gone much faster if I'd had help as well. The most tedious part was taking the dash apart and routing the wires and boost line, and figuring out how to get through the firewall. Finally I decided to follow the instructions at http://www.collectracecars.com/evo/mechgaugeinstall.htm for tapping the boost line and routing the line through the firewall.

Anyway, the boost gauge is all done but I haven't installed the oil temp sender yet. I did take it out for a test drive though and the boost gauge seems to be working well, showing a peak boost of 19psi tapering off quickly towards redline--the expected pattern for a stock Evo.

One thing I noticed though is that when the turbo isn't spooled and the engine is at low revs, the gauge shows a vaccuum of as low as -20 Hg. Is this normal?

Photos tomorrow when I can take pictures in daylight...

warpspeed
02-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Ya. that's normal. Mine is between 18-20. BTW I hope you didn't drill a hole on the firewall for the hoses. There is a hole already on the passenger side from the factory.

vtluu
02-15-2004, 03:52 AM
Ya. that's normal. Mine is between 18-20. BTW I hope you didn't drill a hole on the firewall for the hoses. There is a hole already on the passenger side from the factory.
Yeah, that's the one I used. Took a few tries to get the grommet off--and then it popped off and bounced somewhere and it took me a while to recover it. :lol: I cut a hole in the grommet so it still makes a nice seal even with the nylon boost line and oil temp sender wire running through it. I couldn't actually reach the hole on the cabin side so I used a coat hanger to pull the line and wire through.

BluEvo
02-15-2004, 01:58 PM
thats cool....maybe one of you guys can help me intall my boost gauge when i get it. most of the shops a charging a grip for intallation. all i want to put in is an auto meter one. a simple and less complex boost gauge.

T

thomas
02-15-2004, 03:51 PM
thats cool....maybe one of you guys can help me intall my boost gauge when i get it. most of the shops a charging a grip for intallation. all i want to put in is an auto meter one. a simple and less complex boost gauge.

T

juss a fair warning...my autometer sucks ****. i would think twice before getting one. ytsejam and nebolic both have autometers too, and theres works fine, i think i juss got shafted.

thats life.

please ease up on using profanity,some are ok but some can get offensive-evo_dadi :wink:

lo siento :roll: dont mean to offend anyone...*puts soap in mouth*

vtluu
02-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey, what should I expect the oil temp to read after driving for a while? During the drive to Grant Ranch this afternoon I watched the meter creep up slowly from 120 (which is the lower limit) to about 180. The meter goes to 300 so this seems rather low...

EvolvedDSM
02-15-2004, 06:33 PM
That seems about right. The thermostat for your coolant opens up around that same temperature and the two should somewhat correspond.

vtluu
02-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Jamie.

One other question: while under the car this morning I noticed there's a bolt that has "OIL" stamped right on it, not too far from the oil drain plug. I was in a hurry so I didn't undo it to see if there's oil on the other side, but I remember someone saying there was a bolt one could replace as an alternate spot for the oil temp sender (or for an oil pressure sender). Is that it?

EvolvedDSM
02-15-2004, 06:38 PM
You're probably looking at the fill bolt for the transfer case. I was under mine changing fluids today and just happen to notice how close the two were ;)