PDA

View Full Version : Testing: Apexi N1 Damper ExV (Expert Type V)

earlyapex
05-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be testing out a new coilover system that Apexi just put out on the market.

Apexi N1 Damper ExV (Expert Type V)
Specs:
32 way dampening adjustable
Dual-height adjustable
Front camber-adjustable upper mounts
8kg / 448lb front springs
6kg / 336lb rear springs
Aluminum construction (these feel VERY light compared to my old JICS)

These are a more street slated coilover system but are supposed to be decent on track. I'll probably move up to ohlins or something like that eventually but I wanted to test out some street suspension coilover systems for the evo first. My last car had a really harsh ride and I'm trying to move away from that in the evo but still have good performance.

As far as I know, I think this is the first set available for the evo from Apexi. I'd like to thank once again Ty at Road Race Engineering for getting this set to me to test.

These are sitting in my garage waiting to go on the car so I will add to this review as I put them through the motions. So far from just looking at them, they look to be constructed very well, seem very light, good build quality, and anodized red with aluminum construction which is HUGE plus for me since my old JICs got destroyed from winter driving.

Look for a complete review in the upcoming months (street, track, etc)

Here are some photos:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi02.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi03.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi04.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi05.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/APEXIS/apexi06.jpg

dohcvtec
05-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Those are sexy :)
Wonder why they didn't go with a front inverted shock?

earlyapex
05-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Those are sexy :)
Wonder why they didn't go with a front inverted shock?

Probably to keep cost down. They are in the same price range as TEIN flex, etc.

MarkSAE
05-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Whoa, they have a stud for the front brake line brackets!

EvoVIII
05-31-2005, 12:38 AM
take some photo of ur car after u install this suspension plzzzz

vtluu
05-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Rear spring rates seem a bit soft...

earlyapex
05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Rear spring rates seem a bit soft...

Remember they are a street-slanted coilover setup.

I will be running the stock spring rates at first to get everyone a good idea how they are out of the box and then I will be upping the rear spring rates.

Installed them yesterday, after breaking two wrenches trying to get the lower bolts off. Mitsu must air torque the shizzle out of those things.

Ride quality seems pretty damn good so far. I have all four set at 15 out of 32. I haven't pushed the car yet until I get an alignment.

MarkSAE
05-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Installed them yesterday, after breaking two wrenches trying to get the lower bolts off. Mitsu must air torque the shizzle out of those things.

haha.. I had the same b*tch of a time getting my lower strut bolts off when I was installing my quaife. I previously torqued the bolts to spec at 123 ft-lbs, so I'm guessing it's that torque spec that makes it so hard to take off the following time. You definitely need to use 1/2" sockets on that focker.

Eclipse
05-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Sell me your Bilsteins,... :wink:

Got pics?

earlyapex
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Sell me your Bilsteins,... :wink:

Got pics?

No pics of them on car yet. I am still messing around with ride heights.

Soon....

earlyapex
06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
some photos of ride height.

I might raise the back up a tad though.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/evo_06_06_05/evo_06_06_05_04.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/evo_06_06_05/evo_06_06_05_03.jpg

zyounker
06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
You should really corner weigh the car to set the ride height.

Looks nice though.

vtluu
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I believe these dampers have threaded sections that allow you to adjust the ride height independent of spring preload, just like the JICs... Regardless, you set the ride height, then corner-balance. Corner-weighting will affect the ride height a bit as you adjust the preload on each spring, but not much. You never corner-balance the car to set the ride height--those are two separate things. You could raise or lower the front or back without affecting the corner weights, if you were careful.

Bryan, the back of my car looked "slammed" like that too when I first put on the Ohlins. The problem was I'd measured the stock rear ride height with nearly a full tank of gas, so when I took an inch off that to set the target ride height with the Ohlins, I'd really lowered the car almost 2" from the "normal" ride height. The weight of fuel can significantly change the stock ride height because the stock springs are fairly soft.

earlyapex
06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
yes, these are dual height adjustable.

Yes I know the car should be corner-weighted. I'm not going to bother with these. I am purely just testing them out so other people that are looking for a more street-slanted setup can get some good information and feedback about them.

I think most people that are getting coilovers for the street won't bother on getting corner-weighted anyway so It shouldn't be a problem.

zyounker
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I believe these dampers have threaded sections that allow you to adjust the ride height independent of spring preload, just like the JICs... Regardless, you set the ride height, then corner-balance. Corner-weighting will affect the ride height a bit as you adjust the preload on each spring, but not much. You never corner-balance the car to set the ride height--those are two separate things. You could raise or lower the front or back without affecting the corner weights, if you were careful.

i guess i should have been more careful with my wording.. but yeah. i was just trying to point out that to correctly set coilovers you need to corner weight the car and adjusting ride height can effect this.

-Zach

jrnot
06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Any Updates on the coils?

Page 2 anyone?

earlyapex
06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Any Updates on the coils?

Page 2 anyone?

I'm giving it 2-3 weeks of me driving around on them before I do a review.

So far, pretty good.

BOOSTonHanD
06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
how much did the set cost you if you dont mind me asking. im looking for some thing that is streetable but still good to try out a track day or two. thanks i tried searching the net but i could only find forums talking about them. thanks

earlyapex
07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Little update on these after using them for the last 2 months.

Great on the street. Make no noise whatsover. No rattles, no creaks, no nothing. Ride is great if you keep the dampening towards the softer area of the 32way adjustment. Handling is on par with stock on the street. Reduces body lean a bunch. The valving can be a *tad* harsh on abrupt sharp bumps but usually recovers very well and linear.

*ok* on the track. The spring rates are a tad soft for the track but these are meant to be street coilovers. The rear spring rate should be stiffer for track use. That said, for low-cost street coilovers, these worked excellent on track, they aren't track coilovers so they don't perform like track coilovers, but for people that track maybe 3 times a year, you could get away with these no problem.

ZK
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Any further word on these? I am looking into these and haven't heard much about it from other people. Also, there are some talks about the ExV being from the same factory as the Megan Racing coilovers...

L84AD8
09-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Any further word on these? I am looking into these and haven't heard much about it from other people. Also, there are some talks about the ExV being from the same factory as the Megan Racing coilovers...

:bump: I'm looking into this too! Any updates???