PDA

View Full Version : Getting one new tire...will it screw up my differentials?

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but I have to ask coz I am a little confused.

I am buying one new OEM tire tonight, as my rear one is going bald. I've heard from a few people that if I only put one new one on as opposed to changing all 4, that it will screw up my differentials. I guess because the new tire has more of a radius then the other 3 used. Is this true? I am only going to have the new tire on for about a month before putting on my new wheels and tires. Am I really in danger of damaging anything? Please help.

Thanks!

vtluu
06-16-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm skeptical it would harm the diffs. If you ran different sized tires, maybe, but different levels of wear--the difference is still pretty small. I've done much "worse" to my car and the diffs are just fine.

That said, I'd always change both sides. The uneven wear will make for uneven traction which can be hazardous in some conditions. Are you sure you can't find a used tire with roughly the same level of tread, to tide you over until it's time to replace all 4? (Might try asking tire installers, if they've worked on an Evo recently, they may have taken off a full set and one tire may still have serviceable tread left on it.)

Dr. Evo
06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I have seen different brand tires (all brand new) front and rear on a 4x4 Montero lock the 4WD up completly. That being said, I would never run a new tire with an old one across the axle on an AWD wth LSD. If yhou HAVE TO, run at least two new ones, or just get two that are 25% or so for cheap, since you are only going to use them for a month anyway. BTW--have you addressed the problem causing 1 tire to go bald before the others? Replacing the tire is just a band-aid remember.

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I have a slow leak due to a nail in the tire. I constantly have to over-inflate the tire, as it looses so much air within 2-3 days. Because I overinflate the tire, it wears out the sides so much faster...which is where it is balding.

I'm afraid of having a blow-out, that's why I wanted a new tire pronto, but I also don't want to risk damaging the car at all. Hmm...I may have to rethink this...

vtluu
06-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm afraid of having a blow-out, that's why I wanted a new tire pronto, but I also don't want to risk damaging the car at all. Hmm...I may have to rethink this...
Can the tire be plugged/patched? I had a big nail in one of my Falkens last year and Marshall (evo_grim) plugged it up for me--the tire held air perfectly for the remainder of its life, including many autocrosses.

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, I'm going to Wheel Works tonight, so I will see what they have to say about the condition of the tire. Otherwise, I will just put on the one that I bought. Then this weekend, I will buy another one for the right rear, just to be safe.

thomas
06-16-2005, 04:42 PM
i still have my four used stock advans for sale. almost not a sale anymore, rather taking up space in my garage.

stock size, three are still in good condition, one is ok...but none are bald. the best used tire i have still has about a good thousand miles, at least, on it. wear bar on thread hasnt even been touched.

let me kno, kimmi, hope i can help.

piece.

EVO GRIM
06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Should be fine kimmie. It strikes me as not realy mattering if you have different size tires on because when you turn the outside tire revolves more times per second than the inside tire right. So why would diff size tires be and different?
P.S.
If they wont patch the tire cuz the nail is too close to the sidewall, get a puncture kit that you push in and cut off from autopart/gas station. Works great.

vtluu
06-16-2005, 06:42 PM
It strikes me as not realy mattering if you have different size tires on because when you turn the outside tire revolves more times per second than the inside tire right. So why would diff size tires be and different?
That was my thinking as well... Granted in this case you'd have different rotation even when driving in a straight line so the diff may have to work overtime, but the difference is pretty small and I figure that if that kind of difference could damage a diff, all those days spent at the track would have killed mine by now.

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I just got back from Wheel Works, and funny enough, the general manager of that store owns an evo. We talked shop for a little while, and he even agreed that everything should be ok considering I am only going to have the new tire on for about three weeks. He said the sooner I get my wheel and tire package, the better but just as long as I don't do any canyon runs in the meantime, all should be gravy.

V8KiLL3R
06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
which wheel works didyou got to kimmie? the one by lewelling and hesperian?

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
which wheel works didyou got to kimmie? the one by lewelling and hesperian?

Yup, that's the one!

V8KiLL3R
06-16-2005, 09:07 PM
i always see a white evo parked at their parking lot all the time.

kimmievo
06-16-2005, 10:03 PM
i always see a white evo parked at their parking lot all the time.

Yeah, that's David's evo...He's one of the managers there. Hopefully he'll join up.