PDA

View Full Version : quitest muffler....

guntings
06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
hey kids,

I was wondering which aftermarket cat back muffler makes the least noise yet is still very unrestrictive... I'm running a full turbo back complete with test pipe and 272 cams and it's heck loud... when I just had my catback and test pipe, i was already setting off alarms... before, I didn't mind but now it's really becoming a PITA.... so people, I need some ideas on how to still make and keep the most power yet keep the whole thing under so many decibels (50 preferrably)... lemme know what you think!!

GokuSSJ4
06-28-2005, 11:43 AM
here is a link with different Exhaust system recordings might help you out choose a quiet exhaust. also consider the AVO catback or Fujitsubo both sound great !!

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album57&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

earlyapex
06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
The magnaflows (non race version) mufflers that RRE use seem to be pretty quiet.

vtluu
06-28-2005, 12:06 PM
I have the WORKS resonated intermediate pipe (IP) and axle-back muffler (ABM) combo and I'd say it's about as quiet as my Buschur Magnaflow exhaust was.

SouthernCrane
06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
.......so people, I need some ideas on how to still make and keep the most power yet keep the whole thing under so many decibels (50 preferrably)... lemme know what you think!!

i don't think there is any aftermarket exhasut that will keep you under 50dB, unless you mean at idle. stock is 80+, and the legal limit is 95 or 96dB offset at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust tip, 20" away, 10" off the ground revving to 4875 rpm (three-quarters of manufacturer's stated maximum HP RPM).

i had the v 1 shnu sig. catback and that was pretty damn quiet. The tanabe is pretty quiet, and so is the HKS Hi-power i think. i haven't really listened to any other ones closely enough to make a call on them.

here is a link with different Exhaust system recordings might help you out choose a quiet exhaust. also consider the AVO catback or Fujitsubo both sound great !!

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album57&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

you should check out the recording page as suggested above

Gruppe-S
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Greddy EVO2 exhaust system for EVO is the quietest of them all.

I got good price on these. please let me know.

Cal

warpspeed
06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
With the set up you have, (turbo back and 272 cams) there is no way you can get a "quite" muffler without it being restrictive. If you were somehow able to get a "quite" muffler, you lose the benefit of the cams and turbo back.

smack
06-28-2005, 01:15 PM
The magnaflows (non race version) mufflers that RRE use seem to be pretty quiet.
i have this and it's pretty quiet. 50db is not possible (at idle maybe)
mine has a buschur hi flo cat as well and it still got black flagged at laguna seca.
the limit that day was 92db and i put out a 93.

just something to keep in mind for anyone thinking about running laguna.
they don't play with that sound limit and will boot you, or fine you if you try to keep running.
also the clubs will not refund you for the day since you are supposed to know that your car
is legal for the track.

vtluu
06-28-2005, 01:28 PM
the limit that day was 92db and i put out a 93.
Keep in mind that's 93dB measured at 50', not 20" as in the SAE test. But that was probably at WOT as well... In reality a lot of different factors will affect what noise level you make at Laguna; just something to be aware of.

smack
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah i could lift going up the hill but who wants to do that? :lol:
i think i'm just going to have an angle extention
made to dump the exhaust away from the sound booth.

i was really just throwing that info out there so no one is suprised and pissed when they
get to the track.

Jamie@WORKS
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
As mentioned, the WORKS IP and ABM provide a boost in performance with minimal increase in overall sound. We haven't staged a test as was done with the other exhausts, but hope to do so soon.

vtluu
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
As mentioned, the WORKS IP and ABM provide a boost in performance with minimal increase in overall sound. We haven't staged a test as was done with the other exhausts, but hope to do so soon.
What you need to do is offer a "WORKS Exhale Laguna Seca extension pipe"--an elbow bend that goes on the end of your ABM/ABE and directs sound away from the sound measurement station at Laguna. Maybe you can even make it so you can turn it around the other way--just in case you're running at some other track where the sound meter is on the other side. I expect at least $100 credit for that idea--don't say I never do anything for you! :lol:

onesicklambo
06-28-2005, 05:53 PM
i have solved your problems
http://www.5zigenusa.com/images/exh/pracer_gn1.jpg

vtluu
06-28-2005, 06:39 PM
i have solved your problems
http://www.5zigenusa.com/images/exh/pracer_gn1.jpg
:?:

chris
06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
that looks ugly.

MitsuMan
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
:cry: FYI the legal spec for any car is 90db and the evo is measured at 5200rpm I got popped for mod smog citation i know all to much about it and I thought my Magnaflo w/nonhighflow cat was way quite!!!!!!!!!! :x damn the cops their all fucking hypocrites any way they all have truck with flowmaster mufflers, i know,I work on them occationally. and whats up with the SRT and the Roush Mustang II its all a bunch of crap FUCK the POLICE :evil:

white power
07-24-2005, 01:07 AM
:cry: FYI the legal spec for any car is 90db and the evo is measured at 5200rpm I got popped for mod smog citation i know all to much about it and I thought my Magnaflo w/nonhighflow cat was way quite!!!!!!!!!! :x damn the cops their all fucking hypocrites any way they all have truck with flowmaster mufflers, i know,I work on them occationally. and whats up with the SRT and the Roush Mustang II its all a bunch of crap FUCK the POLICE :evil:

no, F***K CA! New 6.0L Hummer H1,H2 is exempt per the 'Governator' and a new '05 Harley Davidson is also sound/emmission exempt. WTF is goin on? I bet no more than 100 evos in the bay area are 'illegal'(noise AND catless) but I see 100's of loud ass 1.2L Harleys go by me on the freeway dumping smoke/C02 emmissions allllll day long! So much for the environmental concerns of this state???