PDA

View Full Version : Overtightened bolt on spark plug cover

evolyphics8
07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I just replaced my spark plugs in my '05 GSR to NGK Iridium. Everything was going well until I tightened the last bolt on the spark plug cover. As I was tightening the bolt with my torque wrench, I broke the top of the bolt off and the bottom half of the bolt (the thread) is stuck in the hole. I currently have just 3 out of 4 bolts holding the cover in place.

Please tell me what should I do to remove it.

earlyapex
07-09-2005, 03:13 PM
woah! You broke one of those bolts?

They should only be a bit more than hand tight, all they do is keep the little plastic cover on.

U could drill and tap the broken bolt.

If you are tightening those bolts like he-man, how much did you tighten your actual spark plugs? :shock:

evolyphics8
07-09-2005, 06:35 PM
what's the danger of overtightening the plugs? I have read that they should be tightened at 18lbs. I just used a 12" torque wrench so I don't think I could have tightened it too tight.

EvoVIII
07-09-2005, 07:24 PM
what's the danger of overtightening the plugs? I have read that they should be tightened at 18lbs. I just used a 12" torque wrench so I don't think I could have tightened it too tight.
if u strip 1 of ur sparkplug, u will be in big trouble

earlyapex
07-09-2005, 07:41 PM

If you strip the aluminum threads in the head, have fun taking the head off and retapping. :?

I tighten till the crush washer crushes (on new plugs), then turn about half a turn. On used plugs I just tighten till it gets tight, then about 1/4 turn.

MarkSAE
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
If the bolt head sheared off right at the bolt head, then you should be able to take the other 3 bolts off and the cover and twist the remains of it out w/ a vise grip.

Were you trying to tighten the cover bolts in ft-lbs? The torque values in the shop manual are in INCH-lbs.

MitsuMan
07-10-2005, 12:57 PM
you can retapp the spark plug hole its real easy you just have to have a spark plugg tapper kit that cover bolt is real bad though cause the valve cover is so fragile I'd just leave it in there I lost one of my cover bolts and its fine that way you have the danger of cracking the valve cover if your not carefull and if you already broke a bolt that should just be hand tight and Don't know how to tighten your spark plugs(1/4 to 1/2 turn after running plug alll the way in till it stops. just enough to crush the sealing washers) I wouldn't go there if I were you 8)

EvolvedDSM
07-10-2005, 03:40 PM
As I was tightening the bolt with my torque wrench... What was your torque wrench set at?