PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise and brake lights coming on...

DaveLC2
09-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Well I did a quick search and didn't see my problem. It started a while ago while going through my favorite two sharp turns (Pleasant Hill Rd. by grayson split) at a normal speed (40-45mph). As I was coming around the last part of the left turn down the hill (headed toward Pleasant Hill) I noticed in my rear view morror that my 3rd brake light was on and reflecting off of my CF wing :?: I tapped the brake pedal and it went away. I never seen this happen before but a few days later it did the same thing on the same corner. It seems to happen when I am turning and going down hill. At first I thought that this might be my cars way of checking the brake fluid as other car's emergency brake on the dash usually light up when the fluid is low. Well the fluid level was right at the line. Well tonight I was backing up and lightly pressed the brake pedal and heard this quieff sound and I could feel some feed back through the brake pedal. This was the 1st time I heard a noise related to the brakes(other than the squeeky pads) and I also noticed that my 3rd brake light (probably other 2 brake lights too) was on while turning near DVC. I just checked my brake fluid (after cleaning the cap 1st of course) and it was still right at the max line. What the hell is going on here? Anyone experience ANYTHING like this before? My car has a little over 22k miles on it now. I have plenty of warr + extended but I'd like to have an idea before I take it into service and have them scratch their heads and say they don't know what it is. Sorry for the long post. This is my main driver at this time as I am getting ready for a drivetrain swap on my other ride. Thanks in advance.

Dave

MitsuMan
09-05-2005, 10:45 PM
uuuuuhhhhhh mis adjustment of the brake light switch on the pedal uuhhhh never heard a customer complain of a "queif" noise from brakes :eek:

e8
09-05-2005, 10:55 PM
i have been having an reverberating noise that could be felt through my brakes... i am not sure if that's a "quief".

it feels as if it's coming from the inner front pads.

edit- oh yeah, my car has about 26k miles and i have close to probably 5-10% pads left.

vtluu
09-05-2005, 11:19 PM
i have close to probably 5-10% pads left.
5-10%? There's, what, 8mm of pad new? 5-10% of that means you're almost down to the backing plates. Change those pads before you discover you have 0% of some pad left.

BTW the stock rear brake pads can wear down drastically faster on the inside than the outside. You may find that the outside rear pads have 2-3x as much material left as the rear pads. Always check the inside pads when inspecting your brakes; don't assume that because the outside pads have material, the inside pads do.