PDA

View Full Version : Which brake pads now?

Evo442
09-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok guys... I'd appreciate any suggestions on what pads to go with next. Ideally, I'd like a brake pad that is driveable on the street but good at the track and wont wear out in 2 or 3 track days. Or, even if not suitable for daily driving, a pad that I could safely enough drive to the track and back...

I've tried:

1. Endless SSS pads - good for the street, not enough pad for me at the track. Pretty tough on my rotors.
2. Endless CCX pads - great braking power and pad life, too much initial bite for my taste, and had a tendency to leave uneven deposits of pad material on my rotors.
3. Project Mu titan kai - seemed to stop the car as well as the CCX's, with less initial bite (which I liked) - a more progressive feel. Pretty noisy, and only lasted 3 track days.
4. PF pads - good price, my fav pad for the street. nice progressive feel, a little less stopping power than CCX's or Titan Kai's. Pads are crumbling after 235 miles in one track day, however. I'll finish them off on the street, but no more track days for this set of PF's.

I'm thinking of trying the Porterfield R4's, or maybe the Project Mu Level Max 900's when they come out.

Any suggestions?

hagakure
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Carbotech XP10's D......
Amazing pads, but pretty much track only.

Percy

VELOCE
09-16-2005, 11:13 PM
I had the Porterfields, two track days and the front outboard pads were completely worn out, gone, metal to metal. The driver side outboard left a groove on the rotor. They weren't aggressive enough for my driving style. Choose another pad.

earlyapex
09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Project Mu Level Max 900? Could they fit anymore words in there to make them sound special? 8)

I'm kinda in the same boat. I think I will try out the XP10's next.

I am trying to stay away from hawk blues.

Might also look into Pagid RS4-4 and RS15 and Ferodo DS3000 .

Cameron@xperformance
09-16-2005, 11:58 PM
isnt the ferodo ds3000 a motorsport pad? your going to go through rotors like mad

earlyapex
09-17-2005, 12:07 AM
isnt the ferodo ds3000 a motorsport pad? your going to go through rotors like mad

So are all the other pads I mentioned.

I am done with crossover pads. I am running street pads on the street and race pads at the track from now on. 8)

Cameron@xperformance
09-17-2005, 12:23 AM

So are all the other pads I mentioned.

I am done with crossover pads. I am running street pads on the street and race pads at the track from now on. 8)
so i guess you dont mind changing pads a lot

earlyapex
09-17-2005, 12:27 AM
so i guess you dont mind changing pads a lot

Takes 15 minutes tops. Another 10 to bed in.

better than having my pads fade and crumble.

Yes I know your dad runs DS2500's without a hitch. I'm not your dad. 8)

Evo442
09-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Carbotech XP10's D......

Percy

Hey Percy - how did you end up feeling about those pads? I know you liked the level of stopping power, how was the initial bite? How many track days do you think you'd get out of a set? Did you fade them at all the other day? You drove on them from Sac to Thill, correct?

Evo442
09-17-2005, 05:36 AM

I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the input guys.

Cameron@xperformance
09-17-2005, 08:23 AM
hahaha, im just tryin to mess with you.

when you do change rotors....do you just get OEM ones?

hagakure
09-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Carbotech XP10's D......

Percy

Hey Percy - how did you end up feeling about those pads? I know you liked the level of stopping power, how was the initial bite? How many track days do you think you'd get out of a set? Did you fade them at all the other day? You drove on them from Sac to Thill, correct?

They are NOT chewing up the rotors, initial bite is phenomenal, very stable. I think I can get about three days if I'm lucky, definitely 2. But I don't care, because they stop so well!

P

earlyapex
09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
hahaha, im just tryin to mess with you.

when you do change rotors....do you just get OEM ones?

I'm using performance friction 2-piece

dohcvtec
09-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I had the XP9 Carbotechs and didn't care much for them. The XP10's must be more aggresive?
Bryan, you should try the Hawk Blues. They are very popular in the Honda crowd for HC. If not I've used Hawk Blacks in the past which are a track only pad and not as aggresive as the Blue's.
I'm going to try these Cobalt Friction Spec VR pads next. This is all on the Honda of course, but still carries over the same. I used Ferodo DS2500's last event in the Evo and they never faded. Although I'm still on street tires. But I think the 2500 is a great crossover pad. Bryan has the right idea though, running 2 different pads for street and track. These fixed calipers make pad changing very easy.