PDA

View Full Version : Audio - Speaker Replacement - Help Needed

Black_EVO
10-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a couple of questions that hopefully some one can answer or can point me in the right direction.

1) Speakers- What colors of the factory wiring corespond to + and -?

2) How do you remove front door panels to expose the speakers. (I don't want to mess it up)?

3) How do you remove the A-pillars to replace the tweeters. (I don't want to mess them up either.)

Any help would be appreciated. 8)

ps. I'm moving back to Uber sucky gas California. Morro Bay to be exact. yeh!!!! :buds:

Matz
10-14-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm surprised that no one's responded to this question, yet. I don't have the info, but I plan to replace the speakers in my doors and rear deck, so I'll be sure to make instructions for you when I do it. Hopefully it'll be this month sometime.

panem
10-14-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm surprised that no one's responded to this question, yet. I don't have the info, but I plan to replace the speakers in my doors and rear deck, so I'll be sure to make instructions for you when I do it. Hopefully it'll be this month sometime.
+1

AreSTG
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
do all your speakers suck? i have an MR, and for costing $15,000 more than my wifes 03 celica gt, the sound system sounds like it should be in a Geo Metro

ZK
10-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I am not a car audio guy but the stock 6 speaker system in my 05 REALLY SUCKS.

The radio reception is terrible, and the sound quality is terrible. I just replaced the stock deck with my Pioneer from my old car and it sounds a lot better and better radio reception.

Then the deck broke... ($500 deck, lasted barely over a year!) so I am back to the stock deck again. :lol:

I have some speakers I am planning on putting in, nothing fancy just some better replacement speakers to run off of deck power but that will have to wait until I get a new deck.

Matz
10-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, the Evo deck blows chunks. I am going to replace mine. I was going to put in an amp, but I think I'll not do that and just use the stock wiring... I don't want to add extra weight when the built in amp will probably be "good enough".

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 06:18 PM
do all your speakers suck? i have an MR, and for costing $15,000 more than my wifes 03 celica gt, the sound system sounds like it should be in a Geo Metro

because you bought it for the interior and stereo?

The EVO is a car where you can tell where all the money went...

It went into:

Kicking ass!!!!!111!!1!1!one!!!!

I think I have used my stereo maybe 12x since I have owned my MR.

Black_EVO
10-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Yeh... They are cheap ass speakers and they suck. I have a set of MB Quart speakers and RF tweeters to replace all of the factory speakers. The sad thing is that I have had them since I bought my car in 2003 but never installed them. The rear deck is very easy to deal with couple of screws in the trunk release the covers and 4 screws on each speaker.

Black_EVO
10-14-2005, 08:24 PM

It went into:

Kicking ass!!!!!111!!1!1!one!!!!

I think I have used my stereo maybe 12x since I have owned my MR.Very true!! I didn't buy the car for the stereo. Infact I didn't even listen to the stereo on my test drive. I just wanted to hear the turbo spool up. Boooing....shhhhwing!!

ZK
10-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah, according to the audio guides, the Evo uses 6.5 speakers all around so should be easy to find some replacements.

As for the front components, I have no idea how big the factory tweeter is. Also, if you are going to run components, you will need an amp.

I'm thinking of just replacing the front 6.5s and leave the tweeter in. Not an audiophile set up but would be better than the stock crap.

wilson1
10-14-2005, 09:08 PM
I just replaced the stock deck with my Pioneer from my old car and it sounds a lot better and better radio reception.

Then the deck broke... ($500 deck, lasted barely over a year!) so I am back to the stock deck again. :lol:

That was supposedly mines! :lol:

Matz
10-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I think I have used my stereo maybe 12x since I have owned my MR.

That's actually a good point. When I drive to work, I almost never listen to the stereo. However, when I do listen to it, I prefer to hear something that sounds decent. The stereo in the Evo sounds like my walkman headphones on full blast.

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Not to mention my left tweeter is covered up by my a-pillar gauge mount. 8)

EvoRicer
10-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Ok I removed door panels before but was on a Honda/Acura. I dont think they are much different since they are both Japanese cars. There are a few screws on the Evo, one where the door opener and Lock is, one where the plastic cup is on the armrest, and one on each side of the door panel. The ones on the outside of the door panel are capped with a black circle cap. The other 2 are covered with a black rectangle cap. After those are screwd off u can just unsnap them from the door. But becareful not to pull too hard. There are still wires hooked to the lock mechanism. Pull it straight out nice and slow, one side slightly at a time until they are all off. I havnt pulled the Evos door panels out yet but I will be in a few months. Hope this helps. U dont have to worry about the screen in front of the speakers. They usually just come off with the panel.

Matz
10-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Ok I removed door panels before but was on a Honda/Acura. I dont think they are much different since they are both Japanese cars. There are a few screws on the Evo, one where the door opener and Lock is, one where the plastic cup is on the armrest, and one on each side of the door panel. The ones on the outside of the door panel are capped with a black circle cap. The other 2 are covered with a black rectangle cap. After those are screwd off u can just unsnap them from the door. But becareful not to pull too hard. There are still wires hooked to the lock mechanism. Pull it straight out nice and slow, one side slightly at a time until they are all off. I havnt pulled the Evos door panels out yet but I will be in a few months. Hope this helps. U dont have to worry about the screen in front of the speakers. They usually just come off with the panel.

Very possible that it's like this, but plus an extra step. I've done it a bunch in my old Maxima, and after you pop off the lower clips, you have to pull the bottom out a little bit, but you then have to lift the entire inner door panel straight up, as the top of the panel hooks over the top of the door.

mchagsingog
10-15-2005, 06:16 AM
After I installed my pioneer n2, I realized how horrible the stock speakers sounded so I went and bought some nice Diamond Audio 6.5's and a Diamond Audio amp to go with them. They have just been sitting here in my room for close to 4 months and I have decided to install them next week. I am going to run new wire and make a panel in the trunk to mount the amp and crossovers. If I get to installing it before you do, I could take a bunch of pictures and make a little write up if you would like me too.

Matz
10-15-2005, 08:12 AM
After I installed my pioneer n2, I realized how horrible the stock speakers sounded so I went and bought some nice Diamond Audio 6.5's and a Diamond Audio amp to go with them. They have just been sitting here in my room for close to 4 months and I have decided to install them next week. I am going to run new wire and make a panel in the trunk to mount the amp and crossovers. If I get to installing it before you do, I could take a bunch of pictures and make a little write up if you would like me too.

If you want to save space / weight (?) / installation time, try using F-Mods. They aren't a good as those active crossover boxes, but they run inline with the RCA cables and are decent enough to keep your speakers from trying to hit the low (and out of range) frequencies.

Eclipse
10-15-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a couple of questions that hopefully some one can answer or can point me in the right direction.

2) How do you remove front door panels to expose the speakers. (I don't want to mess it up)?

3) How do you remove the A-pillars to replace the tweeters. (I don't want to mess them up either.)

ps. I'm moving back to Uber sucky gas California. Morro Bay to be exact. yeh!!!! :buds:

Welcome to my neighborhood(SLO county).

In the back the speaker wires are purple(-)/green(+). I don't remember what the fronts are. It may be worth your trouble to get a speaker wire harness set. I think Toyota uses the same.

The door should have screws in either jam and in the door release and down in the handle cup.

Then with a padded screw driver pop the window lift panel out disconnect and remove.

With a padded screwdriver pop the door panel starting at the bottom.

I don't think I'm forgetting any steps but I have an RS and I installed it in January. Likewise that's why I can't help with the tweeters.

Scott

nightwalker
10-15-2005, 01:59 PM
WOW! Am I the only one that likes my factory system? ...well, I got my car used, so I'm not sure as I've never opened it up... but it sounds freakin good. Maybe some polk or infinit components, alpine head unit and JL sub in the future... but I like the way the system sounds right now.

You guys can figure out which wire is what (+) or (-) by getting yourself a cheap little test light. Then touch one end of the test light to say.. a ground, and turning on the stereo. When you touch (+) the light should go on. When you touch (-) it won't. Not too hard eh? :P

And for taking off your door panels, I would HIGHLY recommend a panel popper.

...oh, and soder that shit, don't crimp. You'll thank yourself later.

Matz
10-15-2005, 04:11 PM
+1 for the soldering tip.

Black_EVO
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM

Welcome to my neighborhood(SLO county).

In the back the speaker wires are purple(-)/green(+). I don't remember what the fronts are. It may be worth your trouble to get a speaker wire harness set. I think Toyota uses the same.

The door should have screws in either jam and in the door release and down in the handle cup.

Then with a padded screw driver pop the window lift panel out disconnect and remove.

With a padded screwdriver pop the door panel starting at the bottom.

I don't think I'm forgetting any steps but I have an RS and I installed it in January. Likewise that's why I can't help with the tweeters.

Scott
Thanks for the help..Everyone. I picture write up would be cool for future refrence. I always sodder, I have made that mistake in the past. I did not know the evo had 6.5's in the front. I have 6.5 for the rear and 4.5 for the front. Guess I'll have to do a custom job and install them in the rear doors or the front kick panel. Or.. sell them and buy a new set.

Since I'll be back in Morro Bay (SLO County) we'll have to hook up some time. I have met a couple of other EVO owners from that area. Dr. EVO used to live there but I think he moved. See you all next week.

Matz
10-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I just finished the rear speaker installation, and it went really smoothly. The only tip I have is to not be a moron like me and try to leave the white anchors in the rear deck when you put the grille back on. :oops: Instead, pop them out, stick them back into the speaker grille, then put the screws in each and give them 1/2 turn to hold them in. Then pop the grille back into the rear deck and tighten from the trunk.

For the connection, I left stock wiring since I don't want to deal with the hassle of installing an amp again. I left the stock plug intact by using Phoenix Contact ferrules crimped on the end of the wires coming from the speaker. They are really solid connectors and we use them in all of our robotics here. I then just had to push each ferrule into the stock plug, and that was it! No soldering, and super clean and solid connections.