PDA

View Full Version : Brake Seal Kit Install

Evo442
11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Ok, I got my brake seal kit (rebuild kit) - $118 list price per caliper! But got it cheaper through Norco Mitsubishi (thanks for the tip, methods4),

Anyway, it didn't come with any instructions. Anyone know the proper way to install?

MitsuMan
11-11-2005, 02:12 AM
caliper piston seals? I've done sliding calipers before. You use compressed air in the hole where the brake line goes in and you blow out the piston.
then you change the square cut seal and the dustboot.
Then push and work evenly the piston back into the caliper using like brake fluid to lube the seal
and then I guess on a fixxed style caliper you'd have to disasemble and reasemble the two haves does it come with any gaskets or anything maybe you don't have to split it in half maybe theres enough clearence to pop the pistons out. let me know how it turns out I 'd like to know 8)

Evo442
11-27-2005, 07:36 AM
caliper piston seals? I've done sliding calipers before. You use compressed air in the hole where the brake line goes in and you blow out the piston.
then you change the square cut seal and the dustboot.
Then push and work evenly the piston back into the caliper using like brake fluid to lube the seal
and then I guess on a fixxed style caliper you'd have to disasemble and reasemble the two haves does it come with any gaskets or anything maybe you don't have to split it in half maybe theres enough clearence to pop the pistons out. let me know how it turns out I 'd like to know 8)

Ok, so for the brembo rebuild kit there is a dust boot and a stiff rubber band looking thing (? is this the square cut seal?) for each piston. Where does the square cut seal go?

Sorry - I'm not all that mechanically inclined, and the only thing I can see on my pistons is remnants of the dust boots.

Thanks in advance.

earlyapex
11-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey David,

Here you go:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/EVO_brakes/frnt_brake_pistons00.gif

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/EVO_brakes/frnt_brake_pistons01.gif

You could probably pop off the old dust boot and sealing ring by just pushing the pistons out a bunch, but not all the way off. I did it that way when I replaced the seals on my WRX.

MarkSAE
11-27-2005, 11:41 AM
So for someone who does a lot of track events, how often would we need to rebuild our calipers? Once per season?

earlyapex
11-27-2005, 12:20 PM
So for someone who does a lot of track events, how often would we need to rebuild our calipers? Once per season?

Really depends on the car and person. My front dust boots are cracked already from 6 events. You need to check out the pistons and boots everytime you swap pads.

Evo442
11-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Bryan - thx for the diagram.

Here's a site with some pictures... not evo brakes, but should give an idea of how things should look...

http://vista.pca.org/sch/tech_articles/caliper_rebuild/caliper_rebuild.htm

vtluu
11-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey David, did you happen to get the Mitsubishi part# for the rebuild kit?

Evo442
11-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Hey David, did you happen to get the Mitsubishi part# for the rebuild kit?

Sticker says :
Seal Kit. FR Qty: 1
MR 407375

Norco mitsubishi will discount things pretty good if you ask 'em.
Let us know if you find a good price!

vtluu
11-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Best price I've seen so far is about $85 from MitsubishiParts.net... Norco lists it for $95 on their website... plus tax. Do they have a better price over the phone?

Anybody interested in a group buy?

Evo442
11-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I paid $89

MarkSAE
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
After 14 events, my outer dust boots on the front caliper are cracked pretty badly. The insides have pretty much separated from the outsides. Meanwhile, the inside dust boots are still in good shape. I attribute that to having brake cooling. It appears that the outsides wear about 2X faster than the insides, so I'm just going to replace the outside dust boots for the time being and will probably end up rebuilding the whole caliper once these new dust boots wear out.

Girodisc sells the caliper rebuild kits in separate pieces, so I just bought a dust boot kit for one caliper.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/marksae/My%20Evo/IMG_3161.jpg