PDA

View Full Version : Which dyno do you prefer and why?

EFIxMR
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Which dyno do you prefer and why? We've all seen the Mustang in action, Dynojet, and DynoDynamics. How would you guys feel about dynoing on the new Superflow dyno that is load based?

If the dyno can provide solid tunes with OEM like drivability and reliable power, is that most important?

Or do you guys like being able to compare numbers with each other across the country, even though its pretty obvious that not all dyno's even when manufactured by the same brand show exactly the same numbers. Due to the fact that most dynos are calibrated differently, and have different correction factors applied.

Thanks!

evo_dadi
11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
If the dyno can provide solid tunes with OEM like drivability and reliable power, is that most important?

thats whats important to me 8)

i kinda got used to the mustang dyno and thats where all the tuning was done to my car so i just stick with it.

earlyapex
11-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I think any dyno that is load based like how the car is loaded on the street is key to getting good and consistant tunes.

Mustang, DynoDynamics, etc.

Haven't read anything about Superflow so I have no idea.

MarkSAE
11-13-2005, 01:54 AM
As long as a dyno's numbers can be correlated to 1/4 mile times and trap speeds, that should be good enough.

The ideal dyno would be load based and in a variable speed wind tunnel. :D Being able to do 0-60 times and 1/4 mile runs on it would be a plus.

I think we've seen same brand dynos, such as Mustangs, can vary enough to be useless for shop to shop number comparisons.

EFIxMR
11-13-2005, 02:06 AM
its too bad that the mustang is so varied like that... that is one of my peeves against that dyno.

a tool used to measure a defined unit should not vary within itself. people have said it before... my ruler made by company abc should not give different measurements than my friends ruler which is made by the same company with the same exact name and model.

earlyapex
11-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I think we've seen same brand dynos, such as Mustangs, can vary enough to be useless for shop to shop number comparisons.

I could be wrong, maybe mike @ gruppe-S can chime in on this, but I think that variance has more to do on the setup and settings than just the dyno.

Either way, shop to shop variances don't mean much to me, find a dyno , find it's baseline for your car since all evo's vary and go from there and stick with that dyno.

evo_dadi
11-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Either way, shop to shop variances don't mean much to me, find a dyno , find it's baseline for your car since all evo's vary and go from there and stick with that dyno.

+1 :msword:

bdking57
11-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Im sticking with the mustangs +1 for marcel's comments, although I would like to dyno on a dynojet just so I could go around saying I make 375whp+ on pump :roll:

jeffreywrc
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
IMHO, DYNOPACK

ZK
12-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I talked to Frank over at RaceTune a while back.. He builds and tunes a lot of cars, including USTCC cars, Mazda turbo rotories, pro drift cars etc.

He believes in the Dynapak dyno. It connects directly to the wheel hubs so you have less variables to factor in when tuning. Also, its portable so he can tune anywhere.

EFIxMR
12-07-2005, 09:43 PM
I used to run a Dynapak dyno at work. It is a very good tool to tune on but very time consuming to setup (jack car up, take wheels off).

On the Dynapak I was able to tune 500-600 whp cars with perfect drivability.

Too bad to use a dynapak it cost about 175 to 200 an hour + setup fees.

After using the Mustang dyno at Gruppe-S for sometime I feel that the Mustang can provide just as good a tune, and simulates some conditions that a Dynapak can't. Which is deceleration coast down. The Mustang dyno simulates a real rolling road, whereas the dynapak is essentially a hydraulic brake used to load the engine.

stockEVO8
12-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Double posted :x

stockEVO8
12-07-2005, 09:56 PM
DYNO JET...

sux theres no AWD dynojets in norcal :?

MarkSAE
12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
DYNO JET...

ATP has one.

KevOVIII
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
DYNO JET...

ATP has one.

It's closed to the public.

earlyapex
12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
DYNO JET...

Dynojets suck. Use a load bearing dyno for real tuning. Even Buschur was amazed how spot-on his tunes are now on the street from the dyno with his Mustang Dyno compared to his old dynojet.