PDA

View Full Version : 100 octane tune today...

earlyapex
01-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey all,

So I went to gruppe-s again to tune my car for 100 octane. My goal was to tune it safe on 100 octane without "I live my life 11secs at a time" big boy boost since I track the car so much.

I also did a baseline on 91 octane. I had been tweaking my last dyno tune on the street the last couple of weeks. I got back my torque which I am happy about.

The 100 octane tune is running 1.7(24.6) bar boost spike. For some reason my car hates holding boost so of course it tapered to approx 1.4 (20psi).

I tuned it to a nice safe 11.7 to 11.5ish up top AFR. We did try to raise the boost to 1.8 bar and the car didn't gain any HP and it only gained around 6wtq. I didn't feel it was worth it for the gains. I think I might be maxing out the turbo at this point.

Same mods as before, I listed them again under the graphs.

320.7whp / 300.8wtq

Here are the charts. Base run is 91 octane and test run is 100 octane.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/dyno/010706/100octaneTune_dynochart01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/dyno/010706/100octaneTuneAFR_dynochart02.jpg

Mods:
05 Evo MR
HKS 272/272 cams
HKS cam gears +1/-1
720cc injectors
Fuel Pump
MBC
MR bov
Turboback
ECU Plus piggyback

Matz
01-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, nice work, Bryan. Hopefully, I'll get to see your car sometime. I guess you're still king of the MD for now, until my friend Brian Spilner hooks me up with a 100 shot.

I'm hitting the MD at StreetWerke this coming Friday! I'm excited.

L84AD8
01-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Excellent numbers Bryan! :thumbsup:

KevOVIII
01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Nice going, Bryan. I live around the area so let me know when you'll be stopping by Gruppe-S next time. I wouldn't mind hanging out and watching if you/they don't mind.

YankInCali
01-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Nice numbers! On a stock turbo too!

Cameron@xperformance
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I guess you're still king of the MD for now
a certain yellow and black evo hasnt dyno'ed there yet :lol:

im just messin around. bryan, great numbers man :driving:

earlyapex
01-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Tell you dad to get some cams and then we'll talk. :lol:

Eclipse
01-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice tune Bryan. Are you going to keep it for summer track days?

Scott

earlyapex
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Nice tune Bryan. Are you going to keep it for summer track days?

Scott

I'll have to see if it starts knocking.

Cameron@xperformance
01-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Tell you dad to get some cams and then we'll talk. :lol:
1 day.....lol

Matz
01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
1 day.....lol

Hey Cameron, what are the chances that your dad will be cool with me watching him put in cams? Is he going to do the install tomorrow?

Cameron@xperformance
01-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey Cameron, what are the chances that your dad will be cool with me watching him put in cams? Is he going to do the install tomorrow?
not sure when they are going in, but it will be soon. ill shoot you a PM when i know so you can come by and take a look.

V8KiLL3R
01-07-2006, 10:12 PM
nice numbers dude

Evo442
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Good stuff, Bryan!

evo_dadi
01-07-2006, 11:28 PM
man i need to get my rabbit on better gas :wink: :twisted:

good results man.

dohcvtec
01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Nice man! Too bad Mike kicked me out today. LOL. How did it feel on the ride home? :)

GST
01-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Sorry nothing personal mate but the only time we have poeple not signed off back in the work place is on dyno days, it's the only way our insurance will have it.

Mike

warpspeed
01-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Good sh*t Bryan. Just a quick question, how often are you going to run 100 octane?

hagakure
01-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Good work Bryan!
Man, you are going to leave me for dead with my meagre 241 WHP (according to the old S-squared dyno).....
I've got to figure out a solution for more power. I've got one of the weakest tracked Evos out there now with justt he TR-340 Kit. As little as I drive the car on the street, I'm thinking of having Pete at works tune it for 100 octane and just put 100 in on the rare occasions I'm running the car on the street. I'd go your route if I could tune myself. In looking at the costs to do an SAFC and having EIP or some one tune it, with tune, injectors, SAFC, fuel pump, and labor, I'd be out 1300.00...need that for more track time. Guess I'll just have to get used to only seeing the ass end of your car! :cry:

Percy

Matz
01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Good work Bryan!
Man, you are going to leave me for dead with my meagre 241 WHP (according to the old S-squared dyno).....
I've got to figure out a solution for more power. I've got one of the weakest tracked Evos out there now with justt he TR-340 Kit. As little as I drive the car on the street, I'm thinking of having Pete at works tune it for 100 octane and just put 100 in on the rare occasions I'm running the car on the street. I'd go your route if I could tune myself. In looking at the costs to do an SAFC and having EIP or some one tune it, with tune, injectors, SAFC, fuel pump, and labor, I'd be out 1300.00...need that for more track time. Guess I'll just have to get used to only seeing the ass end of your car! :cry:

Percy

What kind of dyno was it that this company used? Wow... only 241WHP with the TR-340? I'm dynoing my TR303 on Friday on an MD; we'll see what kind of power it makes.

dohcvtec
01-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry nothing personal mate but the only time we have poeple not signed off back in the work place is on dyno days, it's the only way our insurance will have it.

Mike
I completely understand, no worries. :)

GST
01-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Good work Bryan!

Percy

Percy, don't you already have a EcuTek license on your ECU? I would be more than happy to tune your car for you.

Mike

evo_dadi
01-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Good work Bryan!

Percy

Percy, don't you already have a EcuTek license on your ECU? I would be more than happy to tune your car for you.

Mike

+1

earlyapex
01-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I've got to figure out a solution for more power. I've got one of the weakest tracked Evos out there now with justt he TR-340 Kit.

I thought your compression was good? Maybe it's not the car itself that is weak...

earlyapex
01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Good sh*t Bryan. Just a quick question, how often are you going to run 100 octane?

Just at the track. I would love to run it on the street too but:

A: I have no 100 octane by me (at least at the pump)
B: I would be more broke
C: I would be more broke

hagakure
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Good work Bryan!

Percy

Mike

Hey Mike.....

Yeah, I should still have the license on my ECU. I had it flashed back to the P2 due to a very very bad tune that I got here in sac with the ECUTEK that I'm sure was the cause of my head blowing. How does it work if I still have the license on my ECU? What would I be looking at $$ wise to tune my car? In answer to some of the other folks, it was a Mustang Dyno. My car has been a bit weak from day 1, but it's getting very frustrating. I don't want to feel like my only option is going for a bigger turbo. I'm not real intereted in spending big huge $$ on the car when it may go bye bye int he next few years (not due tot he Wife's insistence, that one is solved) in order to make way for an M3 race car or something else that can actually have a chance at running in some SCCA group that is eligible for the run-offs othr than T2, which I am not remotely interested in.....rambling and hijacking, so...sorry.

Percy

earlyapex
01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Percy what where you compression numbers?

Have you done a leak down test?

hagakure
01-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Don't remember the numbers, but compression and leakdown were Excellent after the head job. Compresion was ok even before the head job. I'm not satisfied with the power, and have to find a solution. 241 HP on the S-squared dyno equates to about 280 on a dynojet, and that is not far off what many WORKS TR-340 cars have been putting out. But, it's still leaving a lot of HP on the table. Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have gone with a fuel-controller or piggyback as soon as I started getting serious and saw that this is no longer a street car. I don't require the predictability and hands off nature of a flash. The trade-off is a much weaker car. What I need is somethingthat can give me 2 maps, one for race fuel, one for more sedate circumstances.

P

wilson1
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
have you considered an xede?

earlyapex
01-08-2006, 07:29 PM
What I need is somethingthat can give me 2 maps, one for race fuel, one for more sedate circumstances.

You can switch to as many maps as you want with the ECU Plus. Now you can also switch them with just a palm pilot as well, no need to lug a laptop to the track.

You can get someone to tune you a 91map and a 100map and just switch in between them.

The xede is another option but costs more. Has some more features but not for long.

hagakure
01-08-2006, 09:37 PM
have you considered an xede?

That is one of the options I'm looking at.

P

Gruppe-S
01-11-2006, 12:27 AM
What a beast!!!

Tom

wilson1
01-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Tom's back! :D

KitW
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
What I need is somethingthat can give me 2 maps, one for race fuel, one for more sedate circumstances.

You can switch to as many maps as you want with the ECU Plus. Now you can also switch them with just a palm pilot as well, no need to lug a laptop to the track.

You can get someone to tune you a 91map and a 100map and just switch in between them.

The xede is another option but costs more. Has some more features but not for long.

I can't wait until they get the plug and play harness finished for the ECU Plus, I actually want to get one (and a lot of it is due to Brian's experiences)

Damn, what's this world coming to? Agreeing with Brian? Maybe I DO have an exhaust leak...

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I can't wait until they get the plug and play harness finished for the ECU Plus, I actually want to get one (and a lot of it is due to Brian's experiences)

Damn, what's this world coming to? Agreeing with Brian? Maybe I DO have an exhaust leak...

LOL! Tom is working on getting the plug and play for the 9. I would be more interested to see if Tom also develops tuning for MIVEC in the ECU Plus. Now that would rock.

Matz
01-11-2006, 05:08 PM
LOL! Tom is working on getting the plug and play for the 9. I would be more interested to see if Tom also develops tuning for MIVEC in the ECU Plus. Now that would rock.

So just to confirm, MIVEC operates by changing the cam timing directly through the cam gears, right? Tom seems like a genius, so I'm sure he'll figure it out once he finishes launch control and boost control. :)

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 07:35 PM

So just to confirm, MIVEC operates by changing the cam timing directly through the cam gears, right? Tom seems like a genius, so I'm sure he'll figure it out once he finishes launch control and boost control. :)

yea I am just not sure it's something you can do via a piggyback. I know Shiv messes with Mivec, but I think it's through his flash, not the xede.

Matz
01-11-2006, 07:52 PM
yea I am just not sure it's something you can do via a piggyback. I know Shiv messes with Mivec, but I think it's through his flash, not the xede.

I don't know either, but my guess would be that it is possible. If you can do stuff like modify timing from a piggyback, I don't see why you couldn't control the cam gear gear, either. But that's just a big guess.

I guess the thing to do is to list the stuff that you can't control from a piggyback, and see what the main reasons are.

KitW
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM

Shiv says to have already figured out how to control the MIVEC with the Xede...