PDA

View Full Version : Taking off the CF Big Wing

wilson1
03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Can somebody post the directions to take the wing off, PLEASE! :)

BluEvo
03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
:ahnold:
just playin!
i saw somewhere on evom a while back. i think that you need to take off a couple screws and some floss to cut in-between the double sided adhesive. :wink:

EvolvedDSM
03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
:ahnold:
just playin!
i saw somewhere on evom a while back. i think that you need to take off a couple screws and some floss to cut in-between the double sided adhesive. :wink:

You are correct. It appears to be two nuts covered by a plastic cap, two bolts (accessible under the trunk lid) and possibly two plastic clips. Two strips of double sided tape at each end.

TheJANG
03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Question. Is there any viable means for sealing up the holes if one wants to just experiment with an RS look, and still be able to put the wing back on later?

vtluu
03-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Duct tape? :lol:

lambtron
03-25-2004, 09:18 PM
its just two bolts underneath the wing(inside the trunk) and then double sided tape...it looks crazy ugly without the wing, beware

nebolic
03-25-2004, 09:35 PM
you can buy plugs at kragens to plug up the holes.

BluEvo
03-25-2004, 09:43 PM
for the most part, it's cleaning off that adhesive without damaging the paint. as for the holes, go to the home depot or orchard and find some color matching vinyl tape. cut to match the holes or in little squares just enough to cover. it'll do temporarily, cause you will put the wing back on after you get a taste of it when on the freeway. IMO, it'll feel unstable in high wind areas.

TheJANG
03-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Saw one today at the east bay meet with no wing. I'll be keepin' my wing for now, until somebody comes out with a low-pro wing roughly the size of the OZ/UK GT one, but with a little more flare (like a MKIII Supra 3-piece spoiler).

wilson1
03-26-2004, 12:46 AM
i tried to take it off after removing the bolts, but the darn wing won't come off!

TheJANG
03-26-2004, 01:30 AM
take off a couple screws and some floss to cut in-between the double sided adhesive.

ez76
03-26-2004, 03:59 AM
heat gun?

lambtron
03-26-2004, 09:30 AM
the double sided tape is strong...try getting a razor in there(don't scratch ur paint lol) and try to get a small cut going in the tape, it will make things much easier, if that doesn't work, do what evan said and use a heat gun.

BluEvo
03-26-2004, 02:31 PM
heat gun?
don't know about the heat gun, our paint isn't that great to begin with.

"i'm melting, i'm melting" lolz

lambtron
03-26-2004, 06:23 PM
when i took shivs wing off i just removed the 4 bolts/nuts whatever they are lol, and then "gently" pulled on the wing, the adhesive tape eventually ripped and it came off with ease. lol

EvoVIII
03-26-2004, 10:52 PM
man.... shiv's car is all beat up already.... maybe beat ur car up and the wing will come off easier lolz :lol:

BluEvo
03-28-2004, 01:01 PM
i tried to take it off after removing the bolts, but the darn wing won't come off!
hey wilson1, did you ever get it off?

wilson1
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
hey wilson1, did you ever get it off?

i tried the floss thing, and cutting using the blade, but no luck!
When i tried to pull it off, it sticked so hard to the lid that it start to buckle and bend the whole lid.
So i am stuck! :oops: :x

CollinsT
03-28-2004, 11:59 PM

ah leave it on, the wing is tight

wilson1
03-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Trying to go stealth, less visible to the law, oh well!

vtluu
03-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Trying to go stealth, less visible to the law, oh well!
Start by losing the huge WORKS decal job. :P

BluEvo
03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
i tried the floss thing, and cutting using the blade, but no luck! When i tried to pull it off, it sticked so hard to the lid that it start to buckle and bend the whole lid. So i am stuck! :oops: :x
so the floss stopped when you ran it under the wing post? cause if it came to a dead stop, there must be a screw that you missed.....or a third screw. sorry man, i guess u'd better go see lambtron to get it off. looks like he's got the magic touch.

EvolvedDSM
03-29-2004, 04:00 PM
i tried the floss thing, and cutting using the blade, but no luck! When i tried to pull it off, it sticked so hard to the lid that it start to buckle and bend the whole lid. So i am stuck! :oops: :x
so the floss stopped when you ran it under the wing post? cause if it came to a dead stop, there must be a screw that you missed.....or a third screw. sorry man, i guess u'd better go see lambtron to get it off. looks like he's got the magic touch.

I think there are a couple of plastic clips:
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/files/spoiler.jpg