PDA

View Full Version : Carbotech Panther Plus

methods4
04-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Anyone on this board running these pads? Anyone have experience with them catching on fire? I had one do so yesterday at Thunderhill. I didn't know they were on fire until I pulled into the pits in the middle of a session to fill up on gas. Weird because I've done about 4 trackdays on this same set of pads.

evo_dadi
04-01-2004, 01:07 PM
oh shoot fire!!!! well jan had those pads and had to take them off dues to some loud screeching.

JanSolo
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
I had the Carbotech Bobcats, which ended up making endless amounts of unbearable noise. But, happily - no fire for me.

methods4
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Well, I'm assuming the Panther Plus made even more noise than the Bobcats since it's closer to a race pad. They made noise even when I wasn't on the brakes. I just dealt with it. They are awesome when it comes to stopping power but I won't buy another set for daily driving. I bought an "in-between" pad so I wouldn't have to change pads at the track. In the future I'm just going to buy a set of true street pads and true track pads.

JanSolo - What are you using now for a street pad?

vtluu
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I've seen the stock pads smoke--but not visibly catch fire--at an autocross, for what it's worth. A friend of mine runs Panther XPs on his M3 and while they certainly make themselves known when you apply the brakes, the noise is quite tolerable both inside and outside the car.

The noise problem with the Bobcats wasn't a regular squeaking that you would associate with grippier pads; something about them caused the whole brake disc to resonate and screech unbearably. The Panthers may not have this problem; seems to me like they shouldn't make any noise when the brakes aren't engaged though. Are you sure they weren't brushing the brake disc due to something being a bit off with your brakes? That may also be why they started burning--they would easily overheat this way.

methods4
04-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Nope, there was actually a flame coming out of the caliper. I asked around and finally figured out what it was...

My car started to sputter a little bit while coming down T9. I was just about of gas so I pulled into the pits in middle of the session. It did not even occur to me to do a cooldown lap like I usually do. So it was pointed out to me that if you pull in with super hot brakes, the dust boot can actually catch fire. So this had little to do with the pads.

About the noise issue for the Panther Plus...I think the pad is just a hair too big and goes over the edge of the rotor near the hub. This may have caused the screeching when off the brakes. I have heard about some quality control issues with Carbotech so that may have been the case. I have a buddy with Stoptechs on his WRX with Panthers and he has the same noise problems as me. We just got used to it.

I'm back on stock pads for now and I miss the big inital bite the Panthers have. Oh well. :-/

JanSolo
04-02-2004, 07:24 PM

Stock Brembo's, but I am looking around for new pads.

xchoirboy
06-16-2004, 07:36 AM

Stock Brembo's, but I am looking around for new pads.

getting some squeakin from low speed stops know. think its about time to change out the pads. so what kind of pads are you using know? was thinking about getting some Ferodo DS2500 pads. any suggestions would be a big help. :afrocool:

JanSolo
06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm looking at getting Project Mu pads for the front and rear before the July EOC. A lot of the guys on SoCalEvo are running them and have no complaints on the street and track.

gt40
06-16-2004, 09:17 AM
I had the Carbotech Bobcats, which ended up making endless amounts of unbearable noise. But, happily - no fire for me.

Get to the track and turn those brembos into- BROWNBOS! Mine are a real nice dark brown after completely catching on fire. Brake duccting works, btw:

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=gt40&id=IMG_3981&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Hopefully you will be moving a bit faster now with the new suspension :D

methods4
06-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I hear ya on the Brownbos. Mine aren't completely brown yet. They are only a very dark burgundy. Sucks.

Very nice ducting gt40! What exactly did you use to mount the ducting to the grill? Do you have any closer shots on where your ducting ended at on either end?