PDA

View Full Version : Very important. pls read

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Well I got pulled over for having a modified exhaust :( . I told the Sheriff (yes, the Sheriff not the locals) that it was a RMR exhaust and that it was legal in all 50 states. He asked me for any documentations on the exhaust and, of course who has one, I didn't have any. Then he asked me to pop my hood to see if any other modifications were made to the engine. I know alot of you guys are saying "why did I let him?" Well he said that for having a modified exhaust, it gives them a probable cause to check the engine. Hey....I didn't want to argue. I stayed cool about it and he started to tell me that they are "targeting" alot of vehicles with modified exhaust(imports). :shock:
What I am about to write from here on is what the Sheriff told me about the law on modification on cars, of course different officers have different interpretation of the law.
He said that for any modification that we do to our cars, of course, we have to have a C.A.R.B documentation for the parts. If you don't, it is up to the officer to put down on the ticket if it is "correctable" or not. I asked him what he ment. He said it is up to the discretion of the officer to put down "correctable" or "non-correctable" for any part/s that is installed. Now here is the "kicker". If the officer puts down that it is not correctable, you are not allowed to drive your car for any reason until you go to the referee to have the part checked out on their database to see if it is okay. But you cannot drive it to the referee, you have to tow it down there. When it comes to the exhaust, I asked him "what if I put back my stock exhaust?" Back again.....If the officer say that it is not correctable, you can't drive the car. You still have to tow it to the referee to show that you put back your exhaust. So if you guys get a ticket for a modified exhaust make sure that the ticket say that its "correctable." So you can either put back your stock and get it wrote off by an officer or just pay the fine. But If you put back your aftermarket exhaust back and you get pulled over again, it will be on their computer that you already had a ticket for the exhaust and they will put "non-correctable" and off to the referee you go. Get this, he said that the most of the referee stations are back log 4-6 weeks. What that means is that if the ticket say "non-correctable", you cannot drive your car for that amount of time, even if you put back your stock parts because it will be in their computer that you have been ticket for the violation/s.
Fortunately the guy was cool for explaining it to me and I think it also helped that I told him I used to be a smog technician so he didn't ticket me.
I hope this incident will help you guys in some ways. Just keep cool and don't act like a jerk when they asked you questions. I feel that, it is true that they are targeting much more now than before :x . It's funny though, I never see them (CHP,locals,Sheriff) pull over any Hot Rods with their loud ass exhaust, just us imports. There's got to be a way to stop this because this is "profiling", which as far as I know, is illegal.
I already emailed RMR for any documentation on their exhaust so next time I get pulled over for modified exhaust, I can show it to them. But to be on the safe side, I am going to make an appointment with the referee to make sure that my RMR exhaust is okay....decibel wise.

evo_dadi
04-04-2004, 09:54 AM
oh man i got the same exhaust as you but i have the dp with it also.and i dont have the paper for it so now i got to email them now also.as for the referee they wont accept your appointment not unless you got a ticket for it they will only schedule people who had tickets for modified exhaust and i think pretty soon they're fonna start charging also from what i read.

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 09:58 AM
That's right. I forgot about that. That they won't check your car without a violation ticket. Oh get this, I told the officer that on the RMR website that it says that it is legal and he said that they could be lying just to sell the product.

evo_dadi
04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
lol crap he didnt bite into that huh :)

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 10:13 AM
I wonder if there is anyway we can find out if a product is C.A.R.B. legal on the internet. I never really searched it. I guess I am going to now.

GReddy_917
04-04-2004, 11:04 AM
I guarantee that the RMR exhaust is not CARB certified.

In fact, I dont think ANY exhaust comes with CARB certification numbers.

Evo442
04-04-2004, 11:11 AM
I swear, with all the violent crime that exists today and with all of the cutbacks due to the California budget fiasco, you would think that the government would be able to find a better use of our resources.

How long did the entire encounter with the Sherriff take?

Black_EVO
04-04-2004, 11:20 AM
I wonder if there is anyway we can find out if a product is C.A.R.B. legal on the internet. I never really searched it. I guess I am going to now.

Here is a link to the California Air Resource Board CARB database. It lists all aftermarket parts that are CARB legal. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Hope this helps. I found out about this site when I bought my '88 supra. I had an aftermarket Intake but did not have the CARB number. You have to have the CARB number to get it smogged.

Evo442
04-04-2004, 11:29 AM
thanks!

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 12:22 PM

I have a RS*R catback on my '89 civic hatchback and it had a C.A.R.B. E.O. # right on the muffler so as far as I know only RS*R and certain Greddy exhaust has a #. So that means RMR is doing false advertising on their website saying that their exhaust is legal in 50 states.

chrisw
04-04-2004, 04:29 PM

I remember reading somewhere that all cat-back exhaust systems were now CARB exempt, except the exhaust had to meet the CA sound limits.

BTW: this was a very recent change, started about the same time as the crack down.

Still, you need to have verification from RMR that it's a CA legal exhaust.

more info:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133

warpspeed
04-04-2004, 07:48 PM
:D God I love this forum. I was reading the Sema link and this one I just had to share:
Q2: Aren't all exhaust system modifications prohibited?

No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of the exhaust system to amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, making the vehicle not in compliance with Section 27150 VC or exceeding the noise limits established in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Section 27151 VC does not prohibit all modifications to an exhaust system. It also does not prohibit all modifications that increase the noise level of the exhaust system over that of the original, factory-installed exhaust system (as it did until 1980). It only prohibits modifications that result in a noise level higher than those specified in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Accurately determining compliance with Sections 27201-27206 VC for enforcement purposes is generally impractical. Enforcement personnel must make an informed professional evaluation to determine if excessive noise statutes are being violated.

Q3: Do I have to actually listen to a vehicle to cite it for a violation of either Section 27150 or 27151?

Yes. Drivers of vehicles should not be cited for violation of either Section 27150 or 27151 VC unless the officer has personally listened to the vehicle in operation. This can be either under actual driving conditions or with the vehicle stationary and the engine running. Even if the officer has inspected the exhaust system and does not see a muffler present, the officer should listen to the vehicle. The purpose of this is to be sure that the exhaust system does not incorporate internally baffled pipes or other components that meet the definition of a muffler. There are no specifications which state required configurations or minimum dimensions for mufflers. A vehicle that does not visually appear to be equipped with a muffler, but does not emit excessive noise, should be deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 VC

When the Sheriff stop me I think he was just doing it to show off to a rookie officer. Because as I was sitting in the car, I could see him talking to the rookie as if he was explaining things. Reflecting on this now, I never rev up my motor. I was driving like a grandma ( you know, shifting at 2000rpm) so he can't really give me a ticket because I never performed an action that would constitute I have a loud exhaust. Now I have a copy of this and if I ever get pulled over again, I will show him the paper. :P But then again it says:
Excessive noise is primarily a nuisance issue rather than a safety concern, and determination of excessive noise is subjective. For this reason, enforcement personnel are to exercise sound professional judgment in making a determination of violation. :?

I guess were stuck either way. If the cop is a dick, then we're screwed anyway. :(

wilson1
04-04-2004, 09:38 PM
warpspeed,

Where were you when you were pulled over?

warpspeed
04-05-2004, 01:21 AM
It was about 8am Sunday and I was getting gas at the Unocal over in Cordelia. I knew they were waiting for something but I didn't give it a second thought. So as I took of (like a grandma), I took the side road to my house to Green Valley Elementary school and that's were they stopped me. A rookie and a veteran Sheriff.

xchoirboy
04-05-2004, 06:42 AM
nice write up. wope everything works out.

chrisw
04-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey check this out....

http://www.rmrproducts.com/images/pdf/RMREV012_Test.pdf

vtluu
04-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Interesting... I wonder to what degree the above constitutes any sort of official document? I'm probably not the first to notice that there's an inherent conflict of interest in RMR "sound testing" its own products; sure, I applaud them for doing it but since their interest is in selling their own products, it could result in some amount of favourable bias--conscious on unconscious--in their test results.

I thought that the sound test was supposed to be done at 75% of the manufacturer's maximum-HP RPM, which is 6500 for the Evo. 75% of that is 4875 so I'm wondering if the sound test result would be higher than the 94 dB(A) they measured.

Does anyone have access to the document for SAE standard J1169? (That's the sound testing standard the DMV uses for most cars.)

warpspeed
04-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Like the cop told me, they could be just making a statement in order to sell a product.

chrisw
04-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Like the cop told me, they could be just making a statement in order to sell a product.

true, but why would their document supply this info?

For California users: As per California Code of Regulation, Title 13, Article 9, Section
1036; this RMR exhaust system (part # RMREV012) is legal to be used on public
highways. Also refer to CHP File # 60.A9190.A9181.062.9610186 and
62.A9190.A9181.980920.

warpspeed
04-05-2004, 01:09 PM
True that. I just hope that little piece of document is enough. thanks again chris. :)

evo_dadi
04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
i saw that before but the bottom part just needs a signature and a stamp from RMR but i emailed them already last week so hopefully i get mine soon.hey warpspeed do you have the dp also with your exhaust?

warpspeed
04-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Nope, just the catback. I was thinking of getting it but I want to get the Cusco stage 1&2 chassis brace and I am not sure if the dp will clear it. Have to do more research.

evo_dadi
04-05-2004, 06:42 PM
the dp doesnt clear the bars thats why im gonna get the RMR brace.i think there's a few the clears it but they get too close to the oil pan though.

uhoh_evo
08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Bump for good resources.

uhoh_evo
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
First page has the good stuff. At least I think it Is.

lthelementl
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
It is basically profiling that the cops are doing. On my Camaro I have dual flowmaster exaughsts that are LOUD AS HELL and I have never gotten pulled over (knock on wood). I Have dark ass tint too and cops don't even take a second look at me. When I am in my evo though...sheesh cops watch me like hawks as if they where waiting for me to take off right in front of them. I have other friends who have american cars that are loud like mustangs and trans ams but they have never gotten pulled over for their exaughst being too loud when they actually are(agian knock on wood). Plus they don't pass smog.