PDA

View Full Version : Dynoed at EIP

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Tuned a customers car the other day at EIP in San Jose.

http://www.speedelement.com/images/efi/30r.jpg

The lower run was the result of my street tuning and the higher run is what I left the car at after tuning.

The setup:

stock bottom end
stock intercooler
stock upper ic pipe
gt30R turbo
tial 38mm wastegate
tial bov
ams intake manifold 68mm tb
264 in / 272 ex cams
revolver valve springs and retainers
tbe
blitz boost controller
autronic ems
denso "8" iridium plugs

pure 91 octane only

Special thanks goes out to Paul at EIP for letting me use his dyno, he tells me that this type of power on his dyno should be over 400 whp on a dynojet, which was the power I was targeting.

I was particulary impressed with the Blitz boost control, as I normally hate ebc due to their over complexity, but the Blitz is different. It has the ease of adjustment of a manual but the precision and zero boost taper of an ebc.

http://www.speedelement.com/images/efi/30rtraces.jpg

Here's the traces of a run just before the max pull I showed above. The computer was being finiky and I wasn't able to get the details of the run i posted above. The parameters between the two runs are pretty similar, just a few small tweaks here and there for that extra hp. I installed new plugs before the session and checked them periodically. They showed zero detonation and were picture perfect.

I believe the torque comes on a late due to the huge intake plenum. The boost threshold had minimal response to tuning, and i believe is just characteristic of the intake manifold. it did however extend the redline farther than I am normally used to seeing with this turbo.

Next week I'll be tuning a 50R setup on the same dyno, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. We'll be bringing the car to the meet this weekend, so if you guys are around please feel free to check it out.

Thanks for reading,
Andy

Lurk
04-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Nice #'s but any reason as to why the peak VE is so low??

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 02:30 AM
i think its due to the ams manifolds huge plenum. looks like it is designed around drag racing.

L84AD8
04-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Nice tuning Andy! :P Kinda curious on how well the 50 trim does. Keep us posted. 8)

earlyapex
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
What GT30R kit?

Is that short and low trq curve/number normal for a GT30R on 91octane?

is this car reving to 8k rpm?

leif
04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
it looks like a hondur. full boost at 5k? even tho its on the dyno something is not quite right.

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
typically the gt30r has about 200 tq by 4000 rpm. when this turbo kit was previously on the Forced Fed MR, that was its spool characteristics.

also from my understanding the EIP dyno reads even lower than most dyno's around here.

i don't believe that this type of spool is normal for a gt30R. the car does have a huge intake manifold, which not many people run around here, so it is difficult to make comparisons as to what is exactly causing what to happen.

earlyapex
04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
i don't believe that this type of spool is normal for a gt30R. the car does have a huge intake manifold, which not many people run around here, so it is difficult to make comparisons as to what is exactly causing what to happen.

So why the huge intake manifold?

That trq overall looks just horrible, it's low and doesn't stay around very long.

In keyboard racing, a car setup like mine would eat that thing alive on the street.

Do you think this is a case of overkill parts Andy? Is it going to get a higher octane tune?

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/kimbo63/Shiv%20yo/SHOPEVO1.jpg

found this dyno of a 3071R that shiv did. looks like the GT turbos do have the tendancy to come on late.

not sure why the customer picked this manifold, i heard some people say that the ams manifold doesn't lose low end tq, but on the other hand my other buddy who also had this manifold said it made him loose a bunch of response and low end on his 35R. He took the manifold off... and the response came back.

On this car, I just installed the manifold and tuned it... Didn't help him pick the parts.

I think this manifold is best suited for drag racing and top end. He isn't looking to do a race gas tune.

Finding a good compromise after the stock turbo setup is a difficult proposition. [/i]

earlyapex
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Finding a good compromise after the stock turbo setup is a difficult proposition.

Yup, agreed! Thanks for posting the data btw. What kind of timing did that car like up top?

btw that vishnu 30R has peak trq 1k earlier and 30wtq more, although it is running a cat. Did the car you tuned run a cat?

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
from
4000-5000 ran about 4 degrees
5500 ran 6 degrees
6000 ran 8.2 degrees
6500-7000 12 degrees
7500 14.5 degrees
8000 17.5 degrees

not sure if these numbers cross over to the stock ecu. this could be another case like the aem where the numbers don't match.

earlyapex
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
from
4000-5000 ran about 4 degrees
5500 ran 6 degrees
6000 ran 8.2 degrees
6500-7000 12 degrees
7500 14.5 degrees
8000 17.5 degrees

Interesting, sounds about right from what I have seen on larger turbo logs, less timing up top with the enhanced airflow.

not sure if these numbers cross over to the stock ecu. this could be another case like the aem where the numbers don't match.

I thought it was an autronic? :?: Edit: nevermind you said like the AEM :wink:

EFIxMR
04-20-2006, 05:57 PM
The car is catless. however the 3071R is known to make more midrange/low end power than the 3076R.

The setup is capable of more power still on 91, but i settled at this as Paul told me 30R's make about 320-330 whp on his dyno with 91 octane. not really trying to push the limit here as max power wasn't the owners priority.

on the 50R setup im looking to put down 350 whp on pump. not sure if its doable, but it will be on my own car, so i wont hold back.