PDA

View Full Version : What's an extra $350 worth?

KareBearPowa
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I know a lot of you have been waiting quite awhile for this testing. I looked for the topic about it and can't find it. Figured at cluttered as it was it would be better to start a new one anyway.

Today we finally got the time to dyno test the Invidia, Works and Ebay 02 housings.

I got lucky today and the weather from the time we started testing to the time we finished didn't change, the dyno room was 82 degrees when we started this testing and was 81.9 degrees when we stopped.

All of the runs were done starting at the same coolant temp, 162 degrees, a pull was made, datalog was saved and then another run was done immediately. So 2 back to back runs for each part, then the car was shut off and the parts were changed.

I did all runs in 3rd gear, sat at a steady state cruise in 3rd gear at exactly 2,000 rpm, when the coolant temps reached 162 degrees I'd go to WOT. The dyno recorded from 3,000 rpm to 7,000 rpm.

We started with a dyno run of my RS just the way it was from the Mitsubishi VS Subaru Showdown. The ran 11.11 at 124 mph.

We then pulled the down pipe off the car, our production V-Band style. Made a new downpipe with a 3" flange to work with the Works and the Invidia 02 housings.

We then put this 3" flanged downpipe back onto the car and dyno'd it again. No change at all in horsepower or torque. NONE, NADA, ZERO. As I said in the other topic, making that flange and inlet 3" would do nothing if the outlet of the 02 housing still remained 2.5". I was correct.

Results from the stainless steel ceramic coated 02 housing we sell with the 3" flanged downpipe:

Maximum horsepower was 373 and maximum torque was 388. Average HP was 326 and average torque was 330.

Next we pulled our 02 housing off, installed the Works 02 housing. The Works housing fits, all the bolts can be installed, the 02 sensor port is in the correct spot. The results:

Maximum horsepower was 369 and maximum torque was 385. Average HP was 320 and average torque was 325.

Next we pulled the Works housing off and installed, or attempted to install the Invidia. Bottom line is it fits like crap. Two bolts will actually go in, one or two other are impossible and a third is also crap. There is a hole that has been welded shut on the housing from a mistake from where someone thought the 02 sensor should go, then they moved it to a different spot which is also a freaking mistake as the factory 02 sensor wiring is stretched so tight that it is going to fail. Not impressed with the thought that went into this part. From a performance design though, looking at it I would have guessed the power would have been really good. The results:

Maximum horsepower was 369 and maximum torque was 385. Average horsepower was 317 and aveage torque was 322.

Bottom line is pretty simple here. The car doesn't need, want or benefit from a huge 02 housing or from a 3" flange on the downpipe. You are best off to run the E-bay style housing that is a fraction of the cost, fits and makes the most power we have seen from any of the housings.

Below is the dyno sheet. It isn't difficult to read if you take a look at the numbers at the bottom. I took the best pull of the two for each part. Run #1 results are of the Ebay style housing, #2 is the Works and #3 is the Invidia.

You will notice peak boost was 34.8 psi the Ebay, 34.5 on the Works and 34.3 on the Invidia. IF someone wants to attack me for .5 psi feel free. I am using the AEM boost controller and nothing was touched.

I feel this is probably the absolute best test we have ever performed as the weather, coolant temps, AIT's and such all were the same for each test, normally the weather and such varies somewhat. Not the case today.

Enjoy the testing and results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/jrod@buschur/02testingSMALL.jpg

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=208826

evo_dadi
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
hahah ebay FTW!!!

http://www.oldamericancentury.org/images3/snake_oil.jpg

EFIxMR
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Buschur's products always come out on top lol

KareBearPowa
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Buschur's products always come out on top lol

Of course. Not saying it's not biased. Just some data. It's also at 34psi.* :shock:

but, you can't argue with those curves, curves are curves. Well, except for that really odd totally flat HP curve after 5300 rpm.:lol:

btw, it's also not a buschur product. ;)

Lurk
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah why does that HP curve look like a torque curve? LOL

Evo442
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
More interesting data from Buschur. Makes me extra happy that I bought that pricey Works O2 housing. :-~

leif
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
to answer the title of the thread... not much evidently.

ebay ftw indeed lol.

lqdchkn
06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Meh!* Doesn't mean anything.* 2 pulls doesn't even give the ECU time to adjust from what it thinks is there from the factory.* *

+1 on the snake oil remark.* Buschur-smushur :?

KareBearPowa
06-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Meh! Doesn't mean anything. 2 pulls doesn't even give the ECU time to adjust from what it thinks is there from the factory.

Sure it does. How many pulls do you think it takes to get to the inside of a tootsie pop?

lqdchkn
06-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Meh! Doesn't mean anything. 2 pulls doesn't even give the ECU time to adjust from what it thinks is there from the factory.

Sure it does. How many pulls do you think it takes to get to the inside of a tootsie pop?

Me thinks 3 cycles of the ignition with some ( no real set amount ~10 min maybe ) driving in between.* For the ECU to completely adjust.

Reason I think this, is because I read some where that ODBII ECU's can correct CEL's ( turn the light back off)* if the problem doesn't re-register after 3 cycles of the ignition, as mentioned above.

It's not to say that a mod won't make power out of the box, freshly installed.* Just that the ECU can continue to adjust for performance.

That's why Buschur's test shouldn't be considered as the only result.

dohcvtec
06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't agree with that.

lqdchkn
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
This is getting a little off topic.

I started a new topic "ECU Logic" here:
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=11026.new

crctslt
06-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Isn't 162 deg. on the coolant a little, well, cool?

KareBearPowa
06-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Isn't 162 deg. on the coolant a little, well, cool?

yes

EVO GRIM
06-29-2006, 06:50 AM

Lol thats sig worthy right there

bdking57
06-29-2006, 07:43 AM
so for all the extra money..and trouble of installing an 02 housing, well its it doesnt sound likes its worth it at all. I probably wouldnt have put one on if I had the option of re thinking my mod purchases.

SpeedElement
06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
buschur is running an aem.

UCB
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANCER-EVOLUTION-8-VIII-TURBO-O2-HOUSING-PIPE-also-MR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33632QQihZ010QQitemZ 200001962385QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Is this the product in question?