PDA

View Full Version : Any ex-VW guys here?

KareBearPowa
08-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Been casually looking at some A2 GTI's to finally do my lifelong dream swap.

What are the best years to look at? 8v Vs 16v doesn't mean much to me since I will eventually be swapping it anyway. What are the biggest differences in the years from 85 to 92 (I believe 92 was the last year for A2?). Is there a year to totally avoid? What are the biggest trouble spots/areas/issues I should be looking for when viewing candidates?

Been looking at VWvortex but it seems to have the same signal to noise ratio as Evom.

Thanks in advance.

smack
08-20-2006, 11:41 PM
i had a 86 GLI which was at that time the only jetta in the lineup still made in germany
so the quality was much better on that model than the rest. i assume that the same would
go for the GTI as well. not sure if the GTI was still built there through the whole A2 run though.

sorry not much help

crctslt
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Look out for the "self machining transmission case syndrome" seen in A2's. Like you need more transmission woes...

There was a circlip in the manual transmissions that would let go and allow a piece inside to bore it's way out. It is a relatively easy fix. and I think any trans that was going to do it would have done it by now. It's been long enough that I don't remember the details. You should be able to do a search and find out more.

So what is the dream swap? Rallye Golf ftw?

smack
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
was that in all the trannys?
i know my gli had a shorter geared box than the standard 5-speeds
i would think that the gti's had the same one. my car had about 95k on it
when i sold it with a couple of canyon miles on it and i never had a single
problem with the trans or anything else actually.

crctslt
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
It's a bit fuzzy to me but I believe it was all the 5 spd. manuals. It was a 5cent circlip that VW decided that they didn't need. Turns out that apparently they really did. It didn't happen to all the trannies just enough of them that everyone in the aftermarket world knew about it :) They may have started putting it in after a few years as I lost track. I remember reading about it in mid 80's Vw and Posche/European Car magazines. I'd check with Nuespeed or Techtonics they should know.

vtluu
08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I guess I'm technically an ex-VW guy. But I try not to admit it. :lol:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/image_hosting/vtluu/misc/ohsnap.gif

KareBearPowa
08-23-2006, 10:40 AM

MK2 with 1.8T 20v swap. Been thinking about it forever. My uber dream swap is a MK1 rabbit with a 1.8T 20v swap but the newest MK1 is a 1984 and they are getting very very old at this point, almost impossible to find a decent one without rust or beat to hell. Alot of the good ones have been taken for GTI cup and trashed.

I took a ride in a MK1 with a 1.8T 20v swap years ago and it was silly fast. I was giggling the whole time like a little kid. 1900lb chassis with 200+whp = skeered for my life but so much fun.

I'm casually looking anyway since I know this project would take tons of time, money and patience anyway. Plus I would also need to find a 1.8T 20v donor car.

I also have a slight emotional attachement to a MK1 GTi since it is what I learned manual on and also my first car.

Eclipse
08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Look out for the "self machining transmission case syndrome" seen in A2's. Like you need more transmission woes...

There was a circlip in the manual transmissions that would let go and allow a piece inside to bore it's way out. It is a relatively easy fix. and I think any trans that was going to do it would have done it by now. It's been long enough that I don't remember the details. You should be able to do a search and find out more.

Sounds like the backing off end nut on the shaft of 1G trannies. If the shift lever moves half an inch everytime you accelerate in fifth you know your in imminent risk of blowing the gears through the end of the tranny.

crctslt
08-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah same sorta thing.

I learned manual in a 28,000 lb roofing truck. Trust me no emotional attachment there :lol:

redtydsf
08-24-2006, 12:26 PM
F*ck Yea! ex VDUB owner here...Vr6 turbo swap, A2 GTI G60 swap.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/redtydsf/marks-mk2-3.jpg
RIP

KareBearPowa
08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
F*ck Yea! ex VDUB owner here...Vr6 turbo swap, A2 GTI G60 swap.

Since you did a A2 motor swap and owned a A2, maybe you can give some insight on my questions in the first post?

Thanks!

kimmievo
08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Check out www.watercooledmilitia.com
www. sfbavw.com
or
www.norcalvw.com
Really cool peeps on WCM, so you should find an answer. ;)

KareBearPowa
08-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks kimmie!

redtydsf
08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
try this one VWFIXX.com or VW Vortex (everything you need to know about swaps, tech data and even piecing and buying some turbo/supercharging bits).

redtydsf
08-24-2006, 04:52 PM
sorry about suggesting VWVortex, once you figure out how to cut through the noise it'll probablly be your best resource.

about the differences between the 85-89 GTi 8v 1.8 SOHC and the 90-92 GTi 16v dohc (supercharge that).

85-89 (some cosmetic differences, supension, power), but remember all the parts from 85 to 92 are totally interchangable). Easy as F*, it's like Gundam level 10 :lol:

I'll call my boys out in Tampa and try to get a list and the easiests ways to put your project together.

Oh yea, try TOMAS Tuning in the East Bay if you plan on having it done at a shop, I think they done quite a few of those swaps.....fast turn around too.

kimmievo
08-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Thomas SportTuning is the shiznit!

1035 Broadway Ave.
San Pablo, CA 94806

(510) 235-2350

06IXMR
08-26-2006, 10:11 AM
My friend is a VW fanatic, he has a rabbit with a 1.8t in it for autox lol. So yeah if you have any questions, I could ask him if you like.

redtydsf
08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
earlyapex you got alot of support here :shock:

KareBearPowa
08-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the info peoplez

GraphiteMRix
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
i think all you vw guys should go do yoga or go for a nature walk

redtydsf
08-27-2006, 12:05 AM
i think all you vw guys should go do yoga or go for a nature walk

hahaha :shock: hey i used to be able to put my leg behind my neck and smell me sack when i drove a VDUB...funny how that works :lol:

06IXMR
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Thats all you bro. lol