PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Code for Exhausts

SouthernCrane
05-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Can anyone post something from the vehicle code or anywhere else about exhausts to help us when getting pulled over if a cop says "any modified exhaust is illegal"?

Getting onto Rengstorff, I was followed by a police officer. She pulled me over on Middlefield. When she pulled me over she said that I didn't have a front plate, but from her view point when parked she was un-able to see my front plate, but she saw it after I told her I did have it on. Also she said she was going to ticket me for a modified exhaust, but i notified her that it was below the dB threshold for noise level, and told her how it was tested at our meet. She said that any modified exhaust is illegal, but she didn't ticket me for anything. She was cool about the whole thing.

vtluu
05-19-2004, 09:59 PM
See this thread: http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=721

SouthernCrane
05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
See this thread: http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=721

Thanks Tam, I knew you had posted it somewhere, but I couldn't find it. guess I didn't search hard enough because I forgot to do a search for "Vehicle Code" :lol:

vtluu
05-19-2004, 10:07 PM
No prob. :)

VC 27151 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm) states:

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
So it doesn't mean that any modded/aftermarket exhaust system is necessarily illegal, but that it's illegal to have one that violates the 95 dbA noise limit. But the law doesn't provide the individual any way to "certify" in advance that their exhaust is compliant (legal), you have to get a fix-it ticket for an illegal exhaust, then go to a referree station to get it tested (and hopefully get an official note that the exhaust is compliant).

And also, why the same limit doesn't apply to motorcycles (hence all the loud Harleys) is beyond me. What a bunch of f**ked up laws. :roll:

SouthernCrane
05-19-2004, 10:11 PM
And also, why the same limit doesn't apply to motorcycles (hence all the loud Harleys) is beyond me. What a bunch of f**ked up laws. :roll:

I don't think motorcycles have any laws, that's why you never see them pulled over....... :lol:

lambtron
05-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Also, modifying anything from the cat forward is not legal.

SouthernCrane
05-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Will one of the mods Sticky this post? This is good information for us to have readily available.

evo_dadi
05-20-2004, 07:57 AM
done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JanSolo
05-20-2004, 08:07 AM
The easiest solution is to make the Evo 6001 pounds. Then you can run any exhaust you want.

GokuSSJ4
05-20-2004, 09:03 AM
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133

thanks for the info , imagine showing a cop a print of this went you get pulled over (if your exhaust is with in 95db ) from 5ft away. i wonder what can they say once you read the modify exhaust code to them :? :?

vtluu
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks for the info , imagine showing a cop a print of this went you get pulled over (if your exhaust is with in 95db ) from 5ft away. i wonder what can they say once you read the modify exhaust code to them :? :?
The problem is it's totally their judgement call as to whether or not your exhaust is "too" loud. If they decide it is, you'll get a fix-it ticket and it'll be up to you to either put the stock exhaust back on or (?) go to a referee station to get your aftermarket exhaust tested. Guilty until proven innocent. :roll:

After you've had it tested, then you'll have a piece of paper that should (supposedly) protect you against further tickets (for the exhaust anyway), but the twisted thing is that you can't actually get that testing and piece of paper done until you've gotten a fix-it ticket.

SouthernCrane
05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thx Marcel

GokuSSJ4
05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
at least even if you get the ticket written off with CHP you are still responsible to pay the 60.00 fine that they issue with the fix up ticket. Regarless if you have showned correction or not, so in some cases it doesnt even matter or worth going through all the headaches, since is always up to the cop if they will site you and have you go through the process all over again.

warpspeed
05-20-2004, 11:24 AM
You guys should read this. It is from the CHP bulletin.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133

evo_dadi
05-20-2004, 08:24 PM
at least even if you get the ticket written off with CHP you are still responsible to pay the 60.00 fine

there's a fine now :shock: :shock: i used to get a lot of fix it tickets signed off before and i never had to pay for any of it or is it just with exhausts?

GokuSSJ4
05-20-2004, 09:01 PM
thats the reason why they did that. Since before all you had to pay was $10.00 to the court and problem solve (since CHP doesn't charge for fix up tickets being sign off) but now if you have the fix up ticket writting off or not , court will charge 60.00 and the double from that . Since they had the problem that tons of people were putting stock muffler on , have CHP sign it off and then pay 10.00 and go back to what ever exhaust they had. Now they keep track of it :? :? :?

lambtron
05-20-2004, 10:00 PM

Reading the VC section regarding exhaust on vehicles to the officer would be stupid. Police officers know the code, they went through training and in fact, do know more than you may think. Now how they enforce the code is entirely up to them. What you don't realize is that it is quite impossible for anyone to drive down the road these days without breaking one of the laws in the vc book. If you read an exerpt from the vc book to them trying to prove them wrong, you would only piss them off as it is disrespectful to them(How would you like someone who is not in your industry and knows very little about it tell you how to do your job?) Pissing them off may lead them to write you up for even more citations, which may be completely ridiculous, but guess what...they can do it!!! If you get pulled over for any reason and argue with the officer or just try and prove them wrong, you are a fucking idiot. End of story. Now here is one piece of advice: Upon getting pulled over, be sincere, cooperative, honest(police officers like honesty) and lastly, DO NOT ARGUE with the officer. If you do not agree with the officer's decision, argue it in court.

GokuSSJ4
05-21-2004, 12:42 AM
funny thing that they will do what they plan to do, regarless if you play nice or not. better chances are that you will not get more into it then you would if you would be disrespectful .
Believe me fix up tickets are not new to me, my first one was 9 years ago, since then i have only receive 1 more . The last thign i want is to call a cops attention. Went you need them , theyre no where to be found.

mrprotocols
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
This reminded me of the old day.... I got 7 cition in 1 tickets back in 1997 on my 240sx =(...

Car too low, Spolier too big blocking the view, mod exhuast, intake, tinted windows on the driver/passager windows, and windshiled tint is too low.

I got so many fixing tickets before, i stopped fixing up car, and started riding instead....

vtluu
01-14-2005, 12:32 PM
There's a 240SX down the street from my house with a fart can on it and my house rumbles every time he speeds by (it's a residential neighbourhood with kids playing in the street all the time :roll:). He sees my Evo and makes a point of blowing by in front of my house, as if that makes him cool or something. Moron. I really wish the cops would bust his ass...

WavMixer
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Y'all might want to bookmark this link for any future CA vehicle code questions:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh

threepointsix
03-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Run a quiet xhaust is my solution. My buddy put the Buscher full system on his '03 car and it sounds like a pack of bumblebees. Anyone know what the 400hp FQ Evo in UK uses for factory DP? Its gotta be bigger AND legal (sorta) cause it will carry a Mitsu part#...Just a thought?

threepointsix
03-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Ahh..found it

'Owen developments' is the factory DP..Anyone wanna get a price so we can get it reffereed and exempted along w/ the cats???

Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 parts list:

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
Omega Forged Pistons
HKS Forged Con Rods
HKS 680cc Injectors
Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
Driver Training Course

evo743
08-29-2005, 05:17 AM
I have been on this site for a while, and this is the first time Ive noticed this thread (just happens to be after i got off of work at 4am).
As peace officer employed here in the great state of california, I feel a need to respond. Luckily for me, most of the posts have it right... but I will attempt to clear up any misconceptions.
I do not work for CHP, so I cannot state if the 60 dollar surcharge w/fix-it tickets is true, in my town it is 9 bucks if a fix-it is corrected. I'm one of the traffic officers in my city, so ive been to court several times on exhaust tickets. By the way, i have even talked to some members from this forum (roevo comes to mind) who can vouch that Im not your typical cop.
Back on point... refer to the beginning of the post for a defintion of vc 27151. The (b) section refers to 95 dba limit. BUT the (a) section refers to being in accordance with 27150 and the vehicle may not exceed noise limits of vc 27200.
27150 vc states simply that every vehicle be equipped with an adequate muffler... to prevent any excessive or unusual noise
27200 vc establishes that common rule of noise audible from an exhaust over 50 feet away.

An officer may cite you for 27151(a) (which is a different section than 27151b). He does not have to prove any decibal point, all he needs is probable cause (you probably have a exhaust in violation of the section) that your exhaust exceeds any of the standards. Simply put, that your exhaust is modified from the factory exhaust and has excessive noise audible over 50 feet (4 carlengths) or over 95 dba. It can be one or both to ticket.
The proof that it does not exceed the standard falls on the owner of the vehicle. If ticketed (and unwilling or unable to put on the stock exhaust) you must go to a "referee" who will put a decibal meter next to your exhaust while its revved above 3k. If its below 95 dba, you will get a certificate which states so. Give to court and keep in car for future contacts with the local police.

That is the vc section, and how it is usually interperted (trust me, every police dept. is different... and traffic court judges are just as bad). Alot also depends on the officer, time of day (or night), local muncipal laws (which can be more restrictive than state law) etc... I typically do NOT give out these tickets, just because of the vagueness of the section. But i will if some 16 year old kid slaps on a APC pepboy tin can just for the noise :roll:
Hopefully this helps, if anyone has any (serious) questions that they dont want to post regarding police matters, pm me... i will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Matz
08-29-2005, 05:35 AM
The proof that it does not exceed the standard falls on the owner of the vehicle. If ticketed (and unwilling or unable to put on the stock exhaust) you must go to a "referee" who will put a decibal meter next to your exhaust while its revved above 3k. If its below 95 dba, you will get a certificate which states so. Give to court and keep in car for future contacts with the local police.

Thank you for this post. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to be proactive and go to the referee first, and keep the paperwork in the car? Or will the officer say that one could have simply changed the exhaust after being passed with a different setup? If someone goes to a referee (w/o a fix-it ticket), and the ref finds the car in violation, what happens? Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked.

vtluu
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to be proactive and go to the referee first, and keep the paperwork in the car?
You could achieve effectively the same thing by sitting in front of a police station and revving as loudly as possible until someone gave you a fix-it ticket. That's what I call being proactive! :lol:

Matz
08-29-2005, 09:03 AM
You could achieve effectively the same thing by sitting in front of a police station and revving as loudly as possible until someone gave you a fix-it ticket. That's what I call being proactive! :lol:

Wanna join me? :lol:

evo743
08-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah... you can go to the referee prior to getting cited. The notice should describe the type of exhaust and when it was done. It's actually a good idea to go anyway, that way when you get pulled over, just show the officer the document.
If you dont pass, they will give you a paper saying you are not under the 95 dba limit, thankyoucomeagain. Anyway, its up to you. The checks arent free. If you seriously think your exhaust is under and you keep getting hassled, then do it. If you never have a problem w/ cops, then i wouldnt.

And yes, revving your engine in front of police dept. is the quickest way to get a ticket. :lol:

drunk monkey
03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
i agree that the vc is vague. and has loop holes. i personal think the vc for the exhaust is for any exhaust that has been modified to make it louder. ie drilling holes unbolting it, ect ect. every police officer has his/her own interpetation of the law. when they see " modify exhaust system" they seem to think you cant modify the stock exhaust. if that were the case midas would be out of the muffler business.

Carlo

warpspeed
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
You have to remember too that even though you go to the ref. and get your aftermarket exhaust written off and he/she say that it's within the decibel levels, a different officer can give you a ticket for your exhaust again. They can be a d*ck and say, "how do I know that this is the same exhaust that was tested? You could have changed it."

si00dcracer
02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Fellas, I got pulled over bout' 3 weeks ago on my Si. "modified Exhuast" so I changed it to stock ( cost about $200) got the ticket sign, but when it come to paying it at brayant SF, its not in their system. Been their 3 times and its still not on their system. One of the clerk told me is that the popo that cited me forgot to put the (a) or (B) code on the ticket. Now should I just throw away the ticket and forget about it or keep checking with them. what will happen if it is not ever going to be in their system????