PDA

View Full Version : How to: Install coilovers

Matz
09-07-2006, 04:44 AM
I finally decided to put in my new Helix DNA coilovers. Having no experience with suspension mods, I just asked fellow NCE members for advice, and also looked around the forums for information. The FSM came in handy as well, and I'll post the necessary PDFs when I get a chance.

Parts you'll need:
- 12mm socket (to remove brake line brackets in the front)
- 19mm socket (to remove wheels and the two bolts from the front struts)
- 14mm socket (to remove the nuts from the top of the front and rear struts)
- 17mm socket (to remove the two bolts from the rear struts)
- torque wrench that can be set as follows:
- 33 ft-lbs (for the nuts on top of all struts)
- 127 ft-lbs (for the two 19mm bolts in the front struts)
- 65 ft-lbs (for the two 17mm bolts in the rear struts)
- a large ziptie
- 17mm open ended or box wrench
- small ratchet for 12mm socket
- 2 jackstands
- floor jack
- patience and sometimes a strong back

This is my first video-only how-to. I don't know if it's better than having pics only, or better to have both. Please let me know what you think.

Also, the video covers installation of the front coilovers, but since I already had them installed (and just had to adjust the ride height), I just verbalized everything. It's easy enough that it should make sense.

How to install coilovers (http://evo8.initialdproject.com/HowToInstallCoilovers/How to Install Coilovers.mov)

Enjoy!

redvolution
09-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I'll be removing my Ohlins in 2 weeks to have them re-vavled - I could add pics of the removal and re-insertion process.

Matz
09-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I'll be removing my Ohlins in 2 weeks to have them re-vavled - I could add pics of the removal and re-insertion process.

I can also add pics if you want. I can simply save snapshots in iMovie if necessary. So you think pics in the thread would be better than just the video?

redvolution
09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I can also add pics if you want. I can simply save snapshots in iMovie if necessary. So you think pics in the thread would be better than just the video?

Sometimes it's nice to have pics if you already know the general idea and just want to double check a couple things.