PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices ???!!!

toasty
05-28-2004, 12:41 PM
With the new gas prices that are going higher and higher, do you guys think driving your EVO8 gets expensive? Since the EVO8 recommands Premium unleaded, do you guys put regular unleaded to save a couple of bucks, or do you guys still put premium unleaded. Does the prices of the gases around your area affect your driving style and habits? :bandhead:

Just asking.
And EVO will be my new toy for the weekend , but thinking of still driving my old beat up Camry for the better gas mileage. :eek:
What do you guys think?

Toasty :crazyeyes:

vtluu
05-28-2004, 12:50 PM
I fill up the Evo about 4 times a month on average, so right now that's about $120 a month.

I go through a set of tires every 3 months or so, at a cost of about $600 a set--so about $200 a month. :shock:

Granted that's not typical, but I don't think an Evo has ever been a cheap car to own; higher gas prices means a few more dollars per tank of gas but compared to other expenses, spending $20-$50 more a month for gas, while annoying, shouldn't be a limiting factor. In my case it's my only car, so I don't have much of a choice... If there's no enjoyment/fun to be had on your daily drive, then I suppose you might as well use the more economical car for it. As for me, I enjoy (almost) every minute I'm at the wheel of my Evo. 8)

toasty
05-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I understand, you have to put some money out to have fun and driving an EVO8 is no exception. I do believe that the cost of the gas these days are going higher. Driving an EVO8 is just the fun of owning it is the fun part, a part of history.

BluEvo
05-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Since the EVO8 recommands Premium unleaded, do you guys put regular unleaded to save a couple of bucks, or do you guys still put premium unleaded. :shock:
i don't recommend putting a lower octane gas your Evo. we are already running with a lower octance gas than what it really needs.

jstockdale
05-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Uhm ... :shock:

(1) Don't even think about putting regular gas in an Evo. First, you'll lose power because your car will be knocking like crazy then you're car's going to pull timing. Second, you'll do damage in the long term. If you're trying to save money by buying cheap gas for a $30k car, then you shouldn't have bought a $30k car. Honestly, either take care of your Evo or sell it. It pains me to see mistreated cars :(

(2) Like Tam said, the Evo is _not_ a cheap car to own or drive. You'll be doing oil changes every 3500mi with expensive synthetic. Fluid changes every 10k+ mi. Tire changes every 2000-10000 miles. Far too many people don't realize the cost of ownership is _significant_ It's also more than worth it for the performance and fun that this car provides.

(3) California gas is already a Joke. This car was designed to run on 93 Octane to really shine. CA gas is already on the lower end of the allowable spectrum.

And for the record, I get 12 miles to the gallon (due to my driving style and mods). Whatever you're getting is good by comparison :P

If you really want to save money, lay off the "go" pedal. It's not an on-off button, use it sparingly.

-S ...

ytsejam
05-28-2004, 05:12 PM
20$/day for my evo.

150 miles round trip commute daily

BluEvo
05-28-2004, 05:14 PM
20$/day for my evo.

150 miles round trip commute daily

daayyyaaam! ur spending almost $500 a monthe on gas bro! i would be taking the bus to work if i had to shell out that kind of cash for gas.

warpspeed
05-28-2004, 10:32 PM
My evo is my weekend car and for long drives. I just got back from Vegas and on the way there, the gas stations averaged $2.60/gallon. BTW I heard that there are some stations near Monterey that charged $3.10 for premium.

SilverBullet
05-28-2004, 11:57 PM
all i have to say is ....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :!:

toasty
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I say weekend car for sure,.... I will be using the other car (Camry) for commuting around town for work. Having fun on the weekend is the best part of owning an EVO. I know that it is an expensive to own but, I believe that any car that has that style and reputation like an EVO will be expensive to maintain. :driving:
For $20/day, even I think that is some money you have there, I think you are rich or something. Try to invest in a gas saving car for work and play on the weekends.

:eek:

chris
05-29-2004, 02:41 PM
i wish i had a commuter car like a hybrid/prius. and use my evo as a weekend car! but yeah gas is no joke!

MitsuMan
05-29-2004, 07:10 PM
yea you can use low grade gas but I wouldn't drive under boost :x and you know what the say "you gotta pay to play" 8)

brwnrice
05-29-2004, 07:37 PM
$2.61 premium gas at chevron in palo alto :shock:

Black_EVO
05-30-2004, 01:59 AM
My evo is my weekend car and for long drives. I just got back from Vegas and on the way there, the gas stations averaged $2.60/gallon. BTW I heard that there are some stations near Monterey that charged $3.10 for premium.

True... I was just down there. Santa Barbra also has some of the Highest prices in the state 3.20/gal.

toasty
05-30-2004, 01:36 PM
$2.61 preimum in palo alto, wow,... I'm guessing that the regular is about $2.40, right?

Just think of saying "you gotta pay to play" from MituMan and thinking that, like an arcade machine,.. popping quarters in to play your favorite game. BIG expensive quarters that I might add. :crazyeyes:

vtluu
05-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Paid $2.45/gallon for 91 at the Shell on Great America near 237. I have a Citibank Shell MasterCard that gives me another 5% off. Every little bit helps I guess...

GasPriceWatch.com (http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp) has surveys of local gas prices that you can search by zipcode...

toasty
05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
I have to start applying to those gas cards.

EvoVIII
05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Ha, glad I work in a gas station

carbonevo8
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
well you can always get race gas at $4.79 a gallon

toasty
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
I wonder, if you have a gas card from like Shell or 76 or even Chevron do you get discounts on high octane gasoline too?
Would be SWEET, if that happened. Not sure if that does work or not.
Does anyone know?

:skid:

GReddy_917
06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
I paid 2.67/gal. at a 76 near candlestick point. :x

xchoirboy
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I paid 2.67/gal. at a 76 near candlestick point. :x

:jawdrop: you got robed - did they have a gun to your head or what? i wouldn't have to do the flinstones somewhere else.

:ahnold: gas prices

vtluu
06-01-2004, 01:28 PM
did they have a gun to your head or what?
If he was in Candlestick Point? Probably! :yikes:

GReddy_917
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
did they have a gun to your head or what?
If he was in Candlestick Point? Probably! :yikes:

It was a no - choice situation....the cheapest gas I found in the actuall city of SF was 2.56/ gal...but I HAD to find a 76 .... which is why I ended up near candlestick.

Yeah...my ass was really sore after that fill up. :offrant:

toasty
06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I do not drive an EVO yet, but planning to get one very soon, but I have seen gas around the san mateo area go as high as $2.70/gallon.
Basically I live on the other side of 101 across from Bay Medows race track, not the track where you race cars, but for horses, for thsoe who dont know. :computer:

Know I an starting to see gas prices come down a little, have you guys seen any changes yet or is it the same. What is the most highest you ever seen in what area?

:ahnold: Gas !!

toasty
06-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I read the newspaper today and I read that OPEC is doing something but not sure what, but in Britan, gas prices went as high as $6.00.
Not sure if that is in Euro pound or actually United States Dollars?

Hummm.... :crazyeyes:

nebolic
06-03-2004, 12:41 PM
$6 and i believe they don't pay by the gallon, they pay by the liter. :)

Nebo

vtluu
06-03-2004, 12:43 PM
OPEC agreed to increase oil production by 2 million barrels/day and by another 0.5M bpd in August. Obviously that will increase the supply side of the supply/demand equation so prices should go down as a result. However a lot of factors other than supply/demand affect oil pricing, and some people believe that the present political situation(s) in the Middle East have more of an effect on oil prices than anything else.

nebolic
06-03-2004, 12:55 PM
the 2million barrels/day will not increase supply too much to the point that you'll see prices drop drastically again. The increase in supply will be offsetted by the increase in demand for summer driving. :) Yep I agree with Tam, its more political than anything. Actually I think that gas prices will miracously drop back down near election time and for whatever reason, it'll be attributed to President Bush, bahhhh politics, BS. My opinion :)

Nebo

ob4
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
I am lucky to have my good old 100hp civic to drive to work. It's gets 30+ mph, and very reliable. But on the subject of higher gas prices, I have to agree with Eddie, I think that we are being screwed over for political gains. I can still remember in the mid 90's when every single opec nations were pumping over the quota when crude was around $10 per barrels... I hope to see it again soon :( and this time i will buy some crude furture contracts....

vtluu
06-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I am lucky to have my good old 100hp civic to drive to work. It's gets 30+ mph
Yes, I love those Civics that can do 30+ mph. :lol: 30+ mpg is good, too. ;)

toasty
06-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Damn the politics, and Bush too...
I want my gas as reasonable prices, not prices which is based on political gain. :bandhead:
I am thinking that in the very near future like 5 years, many car companies are going to come out with more and more gas/eletric vehicals. And also, the hydogen fuel cell vehicals. :thumbsup:
Wouldn't it be very nice to have hydrogen as the alternative fuel source which in all of the universe that we have so much of. I bet at the pumps, prices would go as low as $0.50/ gallon. :peace:

Imagine the combustion power of hydrogen in place of gasoline. I mean BOOM !!!! Make gasoline look like a whimp compare to that, but over all it is environmentally friendly. :buds:

vtluu
06-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Imagine the combustion power of hydrogen in place of gasoline. I mean BOOM !!!! Make gasoline look like a whimp compare to that, but over all it is environmentally friendly. :buds:
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. Hydrogen is all over the place, but "producing" it--chemically separating it into a useable form (H2 I would presume)--requires energy, e.g. electricity for electrolysis. Producing this energy requires, for example, burning fossil fuels. Until a super-efficient way of producing hydrogen fuel can be developed, the cost of hydrogen will remain fairly high.

Anyway, don't mean to pull the thread off on a tangent... If you're interested, the latest (or last month's?) issue of Scientific American has a good article about the hydrogen fuel economy.

toasty
06-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Wouldnt it be more simiple for just put electros in to water and have the water split and have oxygen and hydrogen, in serparate tanks. oxygen in one tank and the other pure hydrogen, regular H not H2. H2 is what the OUR sun runs off of. And H2 is rare. I also read that they might have H3, which is much more combustable then H2.
Regular hydrogen is common, well... look at water. (H20)
Split them bot apart and you have twice as much oxygen then hydrogen but it is still there.
I remember that because of high school and college. Hated chemistry, but understood it for a bit.
Still,... hydrogen...... is the same as stream power... Oh yeah, steam powered. Image how would EVOs run under steam. :skid:

vtluu
06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Wouldnt it be more simiple for just put electro[de]s in to water and have the water split and have oxygen and hydrogen, in serparate tanks
That's electrolysis. Which requires electricity. Which has to be generated--using energy from solar, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear, coal, or other sources. There are other processes for separating hydrogen, but so far none that are both efficient and feasible on a large-scale basis.

I'm no chemistry expert but I think hydrogen gas commonly exists as H2 molecules (two atoms of hydrogen).

ob4
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
:lol: oh yea it does feels like it can only go 30+ mph

I am lucky to have my good old 100hp civic to drive to work. It's gets 30+ mph
Yes, I love those Civics that can do 30+ mph. :lol: 30+ mpg is good, too. ;)

ob4
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I saw a show on discovery channel about couple of college kids that drove across the country with a diesel vw bus that runs on used cooking oil. They warm up the engine with diesel then flip a switch and in goes the used cooking oil from MacDonalds... :o

vtluu
06-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Still,... hydrogen...... is the same as stream power...
Uh, no.

Water vapour (steam) is end product of hydrogen combustion: combine hydrogen and oxygen and :boom: you've got water. Hydrogen combustion would work in a manner similar to how hydrocarbon-powered internal combustion engines work: combustion creates heat which causes gas expansion which we use to drive a piston (or a rotor in the case of a rotary engine).

Steam power is where you use some heat source to boil water and generate steam to drive a steam turbine. "Steam power" typically refers to setups where the turbine is used directly for mechanical energy--locomotion, propulsion, etc. But of course the turbine can be used to generate electricity, such as in any power plant that uses heat--coal, nuclear, and geothermal for example. "Steam power" makes it sound old-fashioned but actually it's how we generate most of our energy.

Both processes involve steam but they're certainly not the same.

Okay, enough science for today... Back to our regularly-scheduled program. ;)

toasty
06-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah, enough about talking about science. :thumbsup:
What is the most you had ever paid for a full tank of gas? And how much was it?
For me, most I had ever paid was a week ago on a Tuesday. It was $2.40/gallon for regular unleaded. Now at that same gas station it is now $2.35/gallon for unleaded. :crazyeyes:
I read on todays newspaper is that OPEC is going to produce more oil, but saying that... the US refinaries are putting restriction on production of gas, and that still means that we will see gas prices stay about the same or even higher in the next 3 months. All because of summer is around the corner. I guess it is another reason that they was more money. More money for what? :ahnold: IRAQ....... !@#$.... :pissed: stop the damn war over their already....we need gas to have fun with our cars damn it. :skid:

hellz Evo
06-04-2004, 09:42 AM
I have a suggestion. Why don't we help each other by posting the lowest gas prices we see. For example I live in S.F and the cheapest gas here is a citgo gas station on Mission almost by San jose street. I also frequent San jose and there the cheapest gas I found is 2.49 for premium on Santa Clara street. It is on east side of the freeway a block from the exit. I hope this helps.

toasty
06-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Good idea.
In my area where I live, in San Mateo on Norfolk street there is a 76 gas station around the corner. I go there most of the time becuase it is 76 gas. The 76 station I go to most of the time is about $2.59 for premium.
Since I work in San Jose next to the San Jose Airport, off of Technology Drive and Metro. Gas around the corner is about $2.59 for premium as well.

Hope this help,..
This will generally say where I work and live. :mrgreen:
Maybe we can meet each other at a common place in San Jose and talk maybe lunch or even in the weekends. :buds:

vtluu
06-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Also, as I've mentioned before, check out GasPriceWatch.com (http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp)--basically a website where people report in gas prices they see allowing you to search your local area for the lowest gas prices. There are probably other websites like it out there, too.
:google:

chris
06-04-2004, 11:12 AM
yep read that before. shell/76 in the south bay is 2.47 =P. i either get it next to my work on bernal and santa teresa 2.47 for 91.... or near my house on aborn/white for 2.49 for 91.

toasty
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I have also seen the website, but how accurate is it? It is not up todate like the stock market. :huh:
I think the best way to truly know what is what, is the word of mouth. I go by that a lot. :poke: => This is how you tell people, poke them.

2.49 sounds like a decent price for premium unleaded, better then before I saw 2.69/gallon before where I usually buy gas at work... :read:

vtluu
06-04-2004, 01:30 PM
1. Gas prices don't change quite as quickly as stock prices do.
2. What you're looking for is relative pricing; usually, a gas station that is cheaper than another on one day, will still be cheaper than that other on another, even after gas prices have changed.

Anyway I don't use the website, there are a couple Shell stations (because of my gas card) I patronize because they're near my residence and/or commute route, and the 76 station off Almaden because it has 100 octane.

toasty
06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
:huh:
Finally the gas prices are coming bck down.

CollinsT
10-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey lets have a group buy on GAS......what gas station will accept this haha

DnB_design
10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
This has helped me....I will pass it on :thumbsup:

http://www.californiagasprices.com/

DRFTR8
10-07-2004, 03:38 PM
man you guys just need this ...http://www.delorean-midwest.org/97fusion1x1.jpg
that is the "Mr. Fusion" from Back to the Future II..just insert trash and wala you get fuel...recycle...

vtluu
10-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Hey lets have a group buy on GAS......what gas station will accept this haha
You joke, but on the car-club E-mail list at work we once seriously discussed doing a group buy on a tanker truck of 100-octane, back when it looked like 76 was going to stop selling 100.

V8KiLL3R
10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
man you guys just need this ...http://www.delorean-midwest.org/97fusion1x1.jpg
that is the "Mr. Fusion" from Back to the Future II..just insert trash and wala you get fuel...recycle...Hahahaha Its the solution for the problem.

EvoVIII
10-07-2004, 07:19 PM
ehhehe, I get free gas for my car :D , just to let u guys know the gas price will raise another 4cents tomorrow, so get ur gas tonight for a little cheaper price

chris
10-17-2004, 09:27 AM
its gone up soo much fuq lol. 2.59 for 91 around here for me =( or else if i can stop by 76 at de anza college area for 2.53. i hope its still that price.

jbenosa
10-17-2004, 09:32 AM
This is one of the factors why I only drive the EVO on the weekends. The Lexus gets much better gas mileage and I put in cheaper 87 octane.