Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCE Review of the EVO X (nebo's review)

Default NCE Review of the EVO X (nebo's review)

EVO X
    WORKS P2 Flash 294WHP/299WTQ
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    5Zigen ZR+520 18x9.5 265/35
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

Default Re: review

EVO X Review

Buyers experience at Capitol Mitsubishi in San Jose
    My purchase experience at Capitol was stellar, they were courteous, fast, and extremely reasonable. The price that they gave me was extremely competitive. As I am a value purchaser, I always look for the best deal, I have talked with several dealership and by far Capitol was the only one that gave me the numbers I had in my mind.

I know that Capitol will be taking care of the whole community if anyone is looking to purchase an EVO X. I highly recommend them not only for their price but also their willingness to work with you and lastly, they were not pushy at all, which is always a big plus.

So if you're looking for a good deal on an EVO X pm YOHAN2NV or call him at 408-326-9501 you will get the best price and if you have any issues, feel free to come talk to me and I can help you resolve issues (to the best of my ability). If I am to look for another car in the near future, I will again shop at Capitol.

EVO X Review from one that crossed to the dark side

History:
    A quick history of my passage from the dark side and back. As some of you know, I owned a 2003 Evo 8 tuned with full turboback and cammed, from there I purchased (oh knoes) a 350z: all motor RWD. Now I have seen the light and coming back to an EVO X. As I write my review, I may benchmark the EVO X against these cars as I have experience with them.

Interior:
    Evo 8 - cheap and plastic
    350Z - cheap and plastic but has some digital functionality which you can play with, an upgrade to the Evo 8 interior
    Evo X - still cheap and looks pretty crappy, does not look like a $37k car, but who cares, we bought the car because of the motor and drivetrain

Seats:
    Evo 8 - seats were awesome, some people complained they were too big but I thought they were great
    350Z - crappy seats, I have back problems right now and I attribute it to the 350Z's seats
    Evo X - love these, my opinion is that they are better than the seats in the Evo 8 and Evo 9. They feel a lot more snug (possibly I might have gained some weight) but they wrap around me better than the Evo 8 seats

First Drive
    Yeah yeah, stupid me didn't test drive the Evo X, I just signed the paper. You figure that once you've driven an Evo 8 or Evo 9, the EVO X is going to be the same, no need to test drive right? WRONG? The Evo X and last generation Evo's are 2 different cars and if you are looking to to purchase an EVO X, I highly recommend you test drive an EVO X first before making any decisions.

Clutch
    The clutch on the last generation EVO was stiff, it was a man's car, much like every high performance car, if you can't physically deal with the clutch, you aren't meant to drive the car (your left calf should be bigger than your right calf from driving the Evo). The 350Z, very soft clutch, almost to the point where it's hard to feel the contact point, so most of the time, clutch dump FTW. EVO X, the clutch on the EVO X has been soften very much, no longer is it the stiffness of the Evo 8, yet it is not as soft as a 350Z; so what is the conclusion thus far? The EVO X clutch makes it more palatable in a daily driven situation. The clutch grabs fairly well, (nope haven't done any all wheel drive launches - that will come in a few weeks), but I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic right after I got the EVO X and the car drives a lot better in traffic than the 350Z and the EVO 8.

Is it the fast3r?
    Hard question to answer I suppose, some people said no however, recollecting my thoughts with my Evo 8 that was cammed vs. stock EVO X, I am fairly certain that off the line, the X is just as quick if not quicker than my cammed EVO 8; but when the top end hits, the EVO X like every stock EVO looses steam so in that regards, the upper mid and top end of the EVO X is definitely slower than the last generation EVO but the low end grunt, well I say the EVO X edges it out.

Turbo Spool
    I have not figured this one out yet, the last generation EVO has a very evident "Holy shiat" the turbo is spooling and I like to get whiplash. With the EVO X, the power feels a lot more linear, almost to a point where if you didn't know any better you'd think the car is NA power delivery. Do you still feel the kick of the turbo, yes, but is it as violent as the last generation EVO? nope. That can be a good or bad thing for some people. Though one thing I did notice was during idle, the engine surges a bit, might be some kinks that Mitsu needs to work out.

S-AWC: ACD SAYC AWD WTF are all these acronyms

Personally I have no idea what the hell all these mean (actually I know what they mean) but for the most part, I don't think anyone cares. So what's the point of purchasing an EVO X as the main selling point is that it has S-AWC. Safety and control. During my drive back from San Jose to Sacramento, I had to try extremely hard to activate the S-AWC (there's no button to push, the car just does it for you). What this means is that, I'm a dumb ass and also the EVO X by itself is extremely capable before the point of S-AWC and even more capable once S-AWC kicks in. The time I saw the S-AWC assisting, I was literally blasting, switching lanes in the rain on an on-ramp to test it out. Previously in my 350Z, every time it rained, I drove like I was driving Miss Daisy around, always on the right side and no more than 40-50mph even on the freeway. The EVO X though I stress AWD is not the end of all state and that it is invincible, it does provide me with more confidence and assurance in daily driving.

Exterior Looks

Big selling point for me, I like the styling of the EVO X as I feel it has a more mature look to it. The racer image seems to fade away. The other styling clue is that it looks extremely similar to a base model Lancer. Some people might complain that there is no distinction between a $37k car vs. a $15k car. But to be honest with you, that is one of the main factor for me, less harassment from cops. Since the 2 cars looks so similar, it does not stick out like a sore thumb for the cops to take notice of you. Ninja status.

Is the EVO X worth it?
    Yes, as I have experienced the first US iteration of Evo's, crossed to RWD and now back, I feel that the EVO X is more refined and more practical (than the 350Z). Keep in mind, I believe that the EVO X is built now for the masses as the EVO X is a more accommodating vehicle to drive everyday. The power delivery is on par if not better than the last generation EVO. One big difference is the sharpness in the steering, on the last generation EVO, it was very sharp, like a hot knife slicing through butter. On the EVO X, it has a different feel, not as sharp but yet it does exactly the same thing. How do you explain that? S-AWC. All in all, the last generation EVO is raw and powerful, the EVO X is now more refined and appears to be graduating from college. Sniff sniff, a bit teary eyed. The changes I feel are positive and will only make the EVO X even more appealing in the future.

How do I know all this...? Break-in at 7k rpm (Yohan can attest to this). I drove the EVO X like it's meant to be driven straight from the dealers lot.

As I think of more things to write about I will post up. Look for my reviews on a modified EVO X soon

nebo
    EVO X
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3
    I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and i need them tonight. Youre lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, its like this. If i lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if i win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, thats more important.

Default Re: review

whatcha get? white or red?
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

Default Re: NCE Member Review of the EVO X

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw
    whatcha get? white or red?
    white one.

nebo
    EVO X
    WORKS Drop in Filter
    WORKS GFB
    WORKS Rear Sway Bar
    HKS Legamax
    HKS IC Pipe
    KW Variant 3

Default Re: NCE Review of the EVO X (nebo's review)

White is frickin bitchin bro. I wanna see.Congradulations!!!!
    '06 IX WW RS

nice Nebo, i see you got the SSS... did you get anything else?

7. Default Re: NCE Review of the EVO X (nebo's review)

noo you took the white one! thats the good one! :lol:

man a softer clutch...

i recently drove an evo 9 with the stock clutch... it felt like nothing was there.. im used to driving my 4puck clutch
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

8. Default Re: NCE Review of the EVO X (nebo's review)

Quote Originally Posted by nebolic

Yes, as I have experienced the first US iteration of Evo's, crossed to RWD and now back, I feel that the EVO X is more refined and more practical (than the 350Z).
    time to convince Chris to convert back too
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

Nice review. Like you stated, seems like this Evo is built more for the masses and it has graduated in to a more refined state. I do also agree with you that since it is similar to the other 2 lancer models you won't get as much harrasment from de po po Can't wait to see some of these bad boys get tuned!

Nice write up.
    - Rod